Samantha's Reviews > Troilus and Criseyde

Troilus and Criseyde by Geoffrey Chaucer

Sep 18, 2011

Read on September 18, 2011

To be perfectly honest, I struggled to read this version. Not because I could not do it, but simply because it was tedious and I hated this version. Does it really hurt a story to translate the words to modern spelling? Some say yes, but I say no. Had I not spent the time seeking a version that was a simple update to modern spelling, I would have hated this story with every fiber of my being.

As it were, I actually loved this story. It started out funny, then it shifted to sweet and heartwarming, and finally it ripped my heart out. As I read book four and five, I found myself tearing up. It shocked me to be moved by the story, because I had no idea that I felt that invested in the characters. There is something about them, about their devotion to one another, that causes your heart to break.

As for Criseyde, I do not see her "betrayal" as an actual betrayal. Instead, I read it very differently and saw it as a survival mechanism. From first to last, she is concerned with her protection and survival. I felt just as much sorrow for her as I did for Troilus. This story is worth a read and I suggest people find a version that is less tedious, unless you are used to reading in (I believe) Middle English.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troilus and Criseyde.

Nikki It is Middle English, yes.