Mandapanda's Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Sep 18, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read from July 30 to August 02, 2012

Excellent and long overdue story of Andrea and how she finally embraces her were self and gets her HEA with Raphael. There is plenty of magical/mythical action and life or death scenarios in the usual thrilling Ilona Andrews style. The absolute standout for me was actually Roman the Vohlv. He seems like a real hero in the making. Very powerful and sexy and the story about his parents is hilarious. Hopefully he gets a book soon. The other character I loved was the spoiled and beautiful Asciano. Julie not so much. She seems like a PITA. There's a few appearances from friends, Kate, Curran, Doolittle, Derek and Jim. The couple of things that stopped this from being a 5 star for me was that I found Andrea's 'voice' (it is written in her first person POV) very similar to Kate's. And I was still a bit mad at her for choosing the Order over Clan Wolf in the last book. Maybe her acceptance into the Bouda Clan was a bit of an anti climax too. I would like to have seen more exchanges between her and Aunt B and also the other members of the clan for whom she became Beta and more about the Beastkin issue. That might have introduced a little light humour into the novel which I felt was lacking. Anyway I still devoured every page with total delight and can't think of another series I like so well. Absolutely me favourite authors and series. Can't wait till Richard's book now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.

07/30/2012 "Only a few more hours till release!" 6 comments

message 1: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Uuurgh, I just get to 1/4 of this book. Will try to focus on this one today. They're definitely one(s) of my favorite authors (I can't claim just one favorite author, it's physically impossible *lol*).

By the way, who's Richard? Will it be another spin-off of this series.... oh, wait, you're talking about the OTHER series (The Edge). Got it :D

Mandapanda Yes it's an Edge book. Coming out end november I think. Hope you get some more reading time today! :)

Experiment BL626 Glad to see both you and Ami share my opinion.

Mandapanda I don't think they made the most of Andrea's story. I totally agreed with you both about the whole Pack/Beastkin issue. It was wrapped up too quickly and easily. But still, it's IA!! I love them. They could write a story about a pickled egg and I'd probably enjoy it. lol

Experiment BL626 MandyM wrote: "They could write a story about a pickled egg and I'd probably enjoy it."

So sad to say... but it's true.

What did you think about Michelle? That was thrown in out of nowhere and so quickly resolved.

Mandapanda Who was Michelle again?

Experiment BL626 Bad bouda from Andrea's horrible childhood.

message 8: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Or they could just rewritten a phone book, and I would like it as well *lol*

Experiment BL626 wrote: "What did you think about Michelle? That was thrown in out of nowhere and so..."

Jumping in here (hehehe) I also thought that it was coming out of nowhere and quickly resolved. It was a bit too predictable way to handle Andrea's nightmare and bitterness about her childhood abuse.

Experiment BL626 Not to mention that confronting someone that caused you great pain doesn't truly heal everything. Psychological scars are scars for a reason. I think taking up the offer from the therapy lady from the Bouda clan would have been a better way to deal with the issue.

message 10: by Mandapanda (last edited Aug 03, 2012 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mandapanda I think that scenario has been written many times before (the damaged hero/ine confronting her old tormentors) and definitely better than IA managed here. Very predictable like Ami said. I was just reading their latest blog post and it sounds like they're cutting back on books. Also it seems like we might get a novel for Jim and Dali. Must say I'm not real excited about that. Dali is too eccentric just for the sake of it for my taste. I'm not surprised they're sloowing down. Seems like they've had some major health problems in the past year.

Experiment BL626 Keen observation there, Mandy. You're right.

I'm not excited for Jim and Dali too. I like Dali, but I don't really care for Jim. He doesn't anything special about him going on; he's a stereotypical shapeshifter alpha.

Oh, I just learned there will be a short story about Julie in an anthology to be released next month.

I think because of their life issues, maybe that's why they're not slowing down much. Bills need to be paid. =|

message 12: by Ami (last edited Aug 03, 2012 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Out of topic: It's so sad that they need to push forward even with major health problems because of the bills to pay :(.

I remember almost similar issue with Linda Howard few years ago. The quality of her books were diminishing fast ... then she spoke out that she was having health problem but she was expected to keep releasing book. Which was why her writing quality wasn't like it used to.

Regarding Jim and Dali ... I actually think Dali's voice can be different than Andrea or Kate, because of her eccentricity. Plus she's Indonesian (I can't help it, that's personal *hehehe*). However, considering I only gave Jim and Dali's novella a 3.5 stars, I don't know if they can carry a whole novel. Especially like Expy say, Jim doesn't have anything special about him.

Experiment BL626 I have faith they'll pull through. [image error]

On Ami. About your review. Gods and their egos? Gods are their egos. When you're god, you can do as you please. Note to everyone here: don't ever make me a god, I will not push for world peace.

Mandapanda LOL What would you be the God of? Maybe the young Monkey God Hanuman?;)

message 15: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Experiment BL626 wrote: "On Ami. About your review. Gods and their egos? Gods are their egos. When you're god, you can do as you please. Note to everyone here: don't ever make me a ..."

Expy, trust in, in no way (religion or culture) that I would MAKE you a God *hahahaha*

message 16: by Mandapanda (last edited Aug 03, 2012 01:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mandapanda @ Ami, Actually Dali's ethnicity and culture are her strongest points. I totally get why you like that part of her. I do too! I just have problems with heroines whose authors make them so wacky and contrary that they do really dumb things like driving in car races when you're blind for example. Stretches my credibility too far.

Experiment BL626 IA is considering doing a serial. Opinions, please.

message 18: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Experiment BL626 wrote: "IA is considering doing a serial. Opinions, please.

Me, I'm looking forward to it actually. I dislike serials, but since it's IA it might works out well."

I am a serial junkie. And this is IA, so I know I will be in good hands.

message 19: by Experiment BL626 (last edited Sep 11, 2012 03:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Experiment BL626 The biggest issues I have with serials is that they are usually chapters-length and sometime ends with a cliffhanger for a chapter's ending. I hope IA will write fast.

message 20: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Experiment BL626 wrote: "The biggest issues I have with serials is that they are usually chapters-length and sometime ends with a cliffhanger for a chapter's ending. I hope IA will write fast."

I usually just copy paste the story to a file, and DO NOT read them until it is finished. I did that with Andrea Speed's "Infected" series. So it will still feel like a book

message 21: by Experiment BL626 (last edited Sep 11, 2012 04:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Experiment BL626 How the hell can you resist, woman? O_o It's IA. I devour IA like a crack-addict.

Mandapanda Nooooooooo! *starts sobbing* I HATE serials. Cliffhangers, inflated prices, and if you wait and read it as the full novel it never has the same pace or beginning, middle, end progress as a real novel. I'm gutted.:((((((

message 23: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Experiment BL626 wrote: "How the hell can you resist, woman? O_o It's IA. I devour IA like a crack-addict."

If I can wait for a book to be released in a year, I can "postpone" reading serials until they are complete :D

Experiment BL626 @Mandy