Kirstie's Reviews > An Ember in the Ashes

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

bookshelves: fantasy, quality-characters-w-disabilities, strong-female-characters

Someone told me this was YA. Liar. (it was probably the publisher) It kept getting bumped down my TBR because I was always thinking, nah, I don't want to read a new YA fantasy right now. So I've waited sooooo long and now it was great and I regret not hopping on the bandwagon sooner. On the pus side it does mean I can slam through the first three books in rapid succession at least.

I loved the complex relationships in this book! The way Laia felt strongly for both Keenan and Elias; the way Elias felt strongly for Laia and Helene(and the particular wonderful confusion of those particular feelings). I appreciate it so much because when you are younger who didn't have a list of like four(or more!) simultaneous crushes? The way Tahir renders these encounters and feelings into prose is delicious too omnomnom! It might have ran the risk of falling into 'forced love triangle' territory, but none of it felt forced, like it was added just to put a love triangle in so you could tick it off that YA checklist.

The setting is lots of fun, an ancient Anatolia kind of feel (though maybe not precisely there, just that kid of vibe to me), but with more of an evil invading empire over the top. I loved the magic system: djinn, Augurs, wraiths, ect. and am ready to get deeper and deeper in it as the series progresses.

The book seemed so geared to end in a particular way, and I was pretty comfortable, just sitting along for the ride, I was on board - until the book pulled the rug from under me! I was still on board, but it was just such a good shock.

I did have a few, lol what moments though, (view spoiler) but none of them really broke the story for me.

For sensitive readers, trigger warnings for abuse, torture, rape, and violence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Ember in the Ashes.

August 23, 2017 – Shelved