Grass monster's Reviews > THAT SPRING IN PARIS

THAT SPRING IN PARIS by Ciji Ware

The Blurb :
Two Americans literally collide at the entrance to the same Paris hospital, each desperately searching for friends felled in the same unspeakable tragedy.
Patrick Finley Deschanel, an expatriate former U.S. Air Force pilot, quit the military after a career flying helicopter rescue missions in the Middle East. Now resident on a classic barge moored on the Seine, Finn is a man with both physical battle scars and psychic wounds that overshadow his day-to-day encounters at every turn.
Juliet Thayer is a fledgling landscape painter who seeks escape from a tyrannical older brother and her job at his violent video war games company in San Francisco. Her emergency trip to Paris also raises doubts as to her impending engagement to a colleague where she serves as packaging design director and “Chief Branding Officer” of GatherGames, a highly speculative enterprise in which her parents are heavily invested.
As Finn and Juliet form a tenuous attachment in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks that traumatized the French capital November 13, 2015, they wonder if the “City of Light” can provide a path out of the darkness for two emotional exiles who fear--along with the world at large—that their universe has descended into a permanent state of chaos and that the renewal of spring might never come.

My Thoughts :
Finn and Julia bump into each other outside of the American hospital in Paris, both having friends and family that have been hurt in the recent terrorist attack. As the couple become close, and support each other we learn more about them as people and what is troubling them in their lives.
The story is dealt with sensitivity and Ciji Ware has done excellent research to put us in the moment and deal with current affairs happening in the world. It gives us a better understanding of how the city and its people deal with the aftermath of an attack. At times I was so engrossed with the story, I almost felt I was there in Paris and San Francisco, with the vivid descriptions of the surroundings and scenery. The smells, the food and the apparent emotions of all involved. Its also refreshing how PTSD was covered and with empathy.
A perfect balance of romance, tragedy and real life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read THAT SPRING IN PARIS.

August 21, 2017 – Started Reading
August 23, 2017 – Shelved
August 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma thanks for your wonderful review. so glad you liked it!

Grass monster Welcome lovely xx

message 3: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Thanks for you review. It's definitely on my list to read asap.
Carol L