Sud666's Reviews > Moby Dick

Moby Dick by Christophe Chabouté

bookshelves: comics, classics

How does someone take a massive tome like Moby Dick and then adapt it to comic graphic novel format? Witness "Moby Dick" by Chaboute. Instead of trying to emulate the prose of the classic book, Chaboute instead tells the story of Ishmael through his eyes. The comic doesn't just focus on the hunt for the whale- it delves into the life of a harpooner during these times. Ahab is wonderfully represented as a dark, brooding, obsessive captain that has no real feeling for his crew save that they get the elusive White whale.
This comic really is about a voyage. It's Ishmael's voyage and his adventures that we see. In this state-everyone and everything else is viewed through this prism. It works very well. The artwork is black and white. It works for this tale and the lettering style is also good for understanding the gravity of the words between characters.

In short-it is always difficult to adapt a classic to GN format. Few do it well. I would add Mr. Chaboute to that list. Even if you are familiar with Moby Dick-this is a great way to be introduced to a classic that can often turn the average reader off with this ponderous style. The GN doesn't do that. A visual medium to describe the sensation of being a whaler is well transmitted through the words and art. Ahab is a great character and I appreciated the GN version of Ishmael as we see the world of whaling during the 1850's.

So if you're a huge Moby Dick fan or someone who was curious what the fuss is about-this is an easy and wonderful way top be introduced to one of the great classics. Well done Mr. Chaboute!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby Dick.

August 22, 2017 – Started Reading
page 150
August 30, 2017 – Shelved as: comics
August 30, 2017 – Shelved as: classics
August 30, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie Henderson Are you having fun reading this one? :D

Sud666 ``Laurie wrote: "Are you having fun reading this one? :D"

yes it is well done-and not an easy book to adapt to GN format

message 3: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie Henderson Good to know :D I enjoyed the movie version but have no plans to read the book.

Sud666 ``Laurie wrote: "Good to know :D I enjoyed the movie version but have no plans to read the book."

the original? It isn't for everyone and is longer than necessary but maybe someday you might like it? What movie do you refer too? Any particular one that stood out to you?

message 5: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie Henderson Yes, I was talking about the original, which some have proclaimed the greatest book by an American author.

There was a movie version in the 1960's starring Gregory Peck. It's been so long since I've seen it but I do recall being fascinated when Moby went ballistic. Gregory Peck was great too.

There was a recent miniseries with William Hurt playing Ahab which wasn't too bad.

If I'm ever going to read Moby Dick I will the version that you just reviewed. Otherwise no way.

Sud666 ``Laurie wrote: "Yes, I was talking about the original, which some have proclaimed the greatest book by an American author.

Moby Dick does have its merits but "greatest ever"? meh. It is a great book but Melville's style lends towards a description of whaling and its methodology that becomes too much..at least for me. I don't blame you...as far as movies the only one I've seen is the Peck one..and the new one "beneath the Sea"..

message 7: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie Henderson Wasn't Beneath the Sea great! I could watch it several times and not grow tired of it. Should have won several Oscars too.

I don't have the patience to read long winded authors I'm afraid so the book version would probably be impossible to read since I'm not in the least bit interested in whaling or seamanship.

Sud666 ``Laurie wrote: "Wasn't Beneath the Sea great! I could watch it several times and not grow tired of it. Should have won several Oscars too.

I don't have the patience to read long winded authors I'm afraid so the b..."

I can deal with Long winded IF I like the material discussed. I'm just not a whaler nor that interested with whaling. The idea of me floating around stabbing or shooting whales is not appealing to me. Sorry I spent a long time in the Marine Corps. I kill ONLY humans thank you very much. So even modern day whaling doesn't have much to recommend it to me..at least during the time period of the novel it made sense. In 2017? Not a fan. Thus spending hundreds of pages reading about something I merely wanted a cursory knowledge of..it's not me :) But something like Military History? Yeah sure..long winded is no problem :)

Sud666 Yes Beneath the Sea WAS a great movie :) I enjoyed it!

message 10: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie Henderson Yeah, as a lover of animals I'm certain I would be upset with all the whale killing going on. I still haven't gotten over Flower the meerkat being killed on the TV series Meerkat Manor.

Thank you for your service Sud - are you a veteran of the Iraq war? Glad to know the killing days are over for you ;D

Honestly, I think the guys would find this much more enjoyable to read than the gals.

That's another reason the movie is better than the book; all the monotonous detail is left out.

Was do you think caused Ahab's obsession with poor Moby anyway? Besides Moby eating his leg of course.

About time to watch the new Amy Adams movie where she will be trying to communicate with visitors from outer space.
I enjoyed chatting with you Sud :D

Sud666 ``Laurie wrote: "Yeah, as a lover of animals I'm certain I would be upset with all the whale killing going on. I still haven't gotten over Flower the meerkat being killed on the TV series Meerkat Manor.

Thank you..."

Thank you. I was in from 02/'97 thru 11/08 and did some interesting stuff ;) so yes Afghanistan and Iraq and other places :) Served under three Presidents (Clinton, Bush and Obama) but yeah I'm just a chill guy who reads and enjoys animals and nature. In my time animals, by far, are the finest human beings I've ever had the honor to meet. Humans are the worst animals I've ever had the displeasure to meet. Thank you-keep an eye out I always read weird stuff *l*

message 12: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie Henderson I can see how your time as a marine soured you on humans :D

Sud666 ``Laurie wrote: "I can see how your time as a marine soured you on humans :D"

*lol* I actually liked the Marines- they are people I respect. It's mostly the nonsense I've seen since I've been out..but no matter my schooling is done, I have a relaxing job and time to travel :) plus I have plenty of animals to keep me company..I live in one of the top three most beautiful places in Ohio..well worth my 45 min drive