Sara's Reviews > Bring Up the Bodies

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

bookshelves: historical-fiction

The second book in Hilary Mantel’s amazing series on the life of Thomas Cromwell. I seem to have an unlimited capacity for viewing the Anne Boleyn story from different points of view. I know the details already, so you might think it would be boring, but it is anything but. I can never help trembling just a little when Anne is beheaded, and wondering, as we all must, what her state of mind must have been to go from queen to discard so quickly.

This book has the more sensational part of Henry the Eighth’s story, but I will confess that I thought the first book had the better part of Thomas Cromwell’s. Even knowing all the historical details and knowing the part Cromwell played in it, Cromwell always seemed like a background figure to me. I’m not sure I even thought about what he must have been feeling or what kind of man he was before I encountered this series. Having read these two books, there is another historical figure who has come to life for me.

I look forward to the third volume of this series. I want to know what happened to Cromwell, his family and associates after the death of Anne Boleyn. I do not know when it is due out, but it is high on my list of books to buy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bring Up the Bodies.

August 22, 2017 – Started Reading
August 22, 2017 – Shelved
August 24, 2017 –
page 63
15.48% "Finally getting to the second book in the Cromwell series. I really loved Wolf Hall, but having a little difficulty sinking in to this one. I should have re-read Wolf Hall so I would have the momentum. It has been too long."
August 24, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 25, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-fiction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Candi (last edited Aug 26, 2017 08:10AM) (new)

Candi Great review, Sara. I haven't dived into the first of the series, but have considered it. Sounds like I should, as your taste in books never fails me :)

message 2: by Tom Swift (new) - added it

Tom Swift I need to get this off my TBR list and read it!

message 3: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Wonderful review, Sara!

Sara Candi wrote: "Great review, Sara. I haven't dived into the first of the series, but have considered it. Sounds like I should, as your taste in books never fails me :)"
My only wish is that I had read the two books right together. I intended to re-read Wolf Hall, but just couldn't find the time. Highly recommend.

Sara Tom Swift wrote: "I need to get this off my TBR list and read it!"

Absolutely, Tom. I pushed it back too long. Well worthwhile.

Sara Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Sara!"

Thank you so much, Cheri.