Shealea's Reviews > Heart of Mist

Heart of Mist by Helen Scheuerer

bookshelves: biases-and-personal-favorites, arc-review, review-copy, organized-blog-tours
Read 3 times. Last read August 1, 2019 to August 2, 2019.

With Heart of Mist, I don’t think I can find enough words to fully and adequately express how much I loved it. To say that I found this novel to be delightful and refreshing is a huge understatement. I was so immersed in its story that every now and then, I questioned if I was actually under a spell. In fact, I’m almost absolutely certain that the copy Helen sent me was enchanted with the strongest and most potent of Valian herbs. Heart of Mist is simply, purely, wonderfully magic.

Bleak’s moral compass fluctuated every now and then, and it made her both human and realistically flawed. She was not the only character who held this kind of trait. In fact, I’d argue that most, if not all, characters in Heart of Mist were flawed and morally gray in some way in order to protect themselves, their interests, their secrets, and the ones they loved.

The main themes Heart of Mist delved into (and quite bravely, if I may add) included adventure, loss, power, politics, feminism, and existing socioeconomic inequalities. It also took on mental and physical disabilities and LGBTQIA+ representation. Yep, you read that right. If, at any point of this book review, you start to hear the sound of someone loudly sobbing, that’s probably me.

In addition to this, all these themes were cleverly integrated into what could arguably be one of the most riveting, masterfully intricate plots I have ever encountered in any form of media, not just in books. Again, I feel that it would be best not to give too much away, but I will say this: The complexity of the story’s plot was backed up by well-founded world-building and was brought to life by effective writing.

All in all, although Heart of Mist is her first novel, Helen has definitely proven that she does not merely tell stories; she weaves fantastically phenomenal tales that will keep all eyes glued to her craft. Helen’s writing style is an entirely different form of sorcery altogether. Her impeccable imagery will paint films inside your head, and her words will trap you under her spell.

Disclosure: I received a digital Advanced Reader’s Copy (ARC) of this book from the author herself. Many, many thanks to Helen Scheuerer for the incredible opportunity! She’s an absolute blessing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Mist.

August 19, 2017 – Started Reading