Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > Falling Away

Falling Away by Penelope Douglas

Oh my lanta.

This book was everything. EVERYTHING. I didn't think this series could get any better, and I didn't think it was possible to love these characters any more, but what Penelope Douglas gave me in this book was everything. It was more. More intense, more raw, more real, more full of heart and emotion and so much power. It was more unforgettable, more perfect, and more of what I never knew I needed in my life. This book was more. Its characters and their journeys were more, and every exceptional word of this book had my heart enraptured within every single word.

From the very first page of this book, from the very first words I knew that this book would blow me and my heart away. And boy was I right. What I got with KC and Jax as their story continued was amazing. It was intense as all get out, it was like watching and experiencing the most amazing and dazzling and mesmerizing fireworks show of your life, and in the end it was a story that had the perfect amount of everything. It had the intense angst and push and pull that defines this series in the best way. It had the couple that I rooted for, felt for, and started to understand so much as the story progressed. It had the most unforgettable blend of raw honesty and vulnerability, and getting to be with these characters as they peeled back their layers, as they exposed themselves and their truths, and as they put it all out there on the line is something I will never forget.

Falling Away is a story about what happens when the one person you were never supposed to want, the one person who is able to get under your skin, ends up being the one person you can't seem to see yourself without. This book follows the pasts and converging presents of Jax and KC. She's home for the summer after an embarrassing moment led her to a place she never thought she'd be. He's the guy she knows she should stay away from, yet there's something about him that keeps pulling her closer and closer. He pushes, she pushes, they both push and push and push some more, until the most enrapturing explosion of meaning and heart and heat and fire and unadulterated feeling consumes them. Their connection is fierce, their feelings run deeper than either of them are prepared for, and they're both nowhere near prepared for the deluge of emotion and fire they bring up in one another, and that is just a fraction of what makes them and what they share so exceptional to experience.

What I loved about Falling Away, and really what I have loved about this entire series is how much you get and understand these characters. You get into their heads and their hearts, you live and feel and experience it all with them, and along the way you peel back their hard fought layers to see what's really underneath. You see the real them. The honest and messy and complicated them, and that it what I love. I love getting to know them and fall for them along the way. I love getting to understand why they do the things they do, why they make the choices they do, and why they lash out and apologize and fight and fix the way that they do. Even though there are moments when learning that and understanding that with them hurts my heart, it gives me them. It connect me to them on the most exceptional level, and it pulls me into every single word of what I'm reading.

The way Penelope Douglas brings about that connection to her characters, the way she lets me learn about them, understand them, and see what's going on with them, while simultaneously showing me why they're so dynamic and different and special is everything. It's something that truly sets her writing apart, and it's a huge part of why I love this series and these characters so much. It just gives me them. It gives me them at their highest, their lowest, and every moment in between. It gives me their pain and their hurt, their pasts that threaten to pull them down, and it gives me every step they take to make themselves better and to get to a place they want to be. Getting to be with Jax and KC in this book as they fight, as they push, as they give it all they've got to heal and to open up those old wounds in order to make it to a better place gave me one of the most exceptional reading experiences I have ever had.

It connected me to them on every level, it invested me in their story, it had me on the edge of my seat with my heart in my throat ready to see what would happen, and in the end it gave me one helluva love story that I felt every breath of.

Now let me tell you the intensity between these two is off the damn charts. It was so thick, so tense, and tangible in every moment those two were around each other. The way that those two had a way of seeing each other, of cutting each other to the core, and pushing each other in ways that they didn't even know were possible, had me practically salivating. Jax and KC just got each other. They got how they were both complicated and messy and so not right for one another, and they pushed and they pushed, and the more they did that, the tenser it got until the most beautiful and powerful and fiery explosions happened. It was those explosions between them that burst with heart and fear and honesty and truth and so much connection. Those explosions continued throughout this book, pulling them closer and closer, making it so they couldn't stop the train of feeling between them, and building and building even more of what they shared.

Every turn of that page and new chapter brought something more intense, more complicated, more raw and real and emotional, and more them. Getting to be there as they revealed themselves, as they had their own individual journeys of self discovery and healing, and as they experienced every lick of what happened when they were together gave me it all. It had the raw emotion, the fiery connection and heat, so much honesty and vulnerability, and so much strength and fire that had me in awe of these characters and what they go through. Getting both Jax and KC's individual pasts and pain and hurt, getting to see what they'd been through, what they'd overcome, and what they continued to struggle with seared me to them. It pulled every piece of my heart, every feeling and emotion in me, and every part of me to them and what they'd been through.

I hurt for them, I cried for them many times when reading this book, and I was overwhelmed in the most exceptional way with what I got with them. I will say this, their story ain't easy. It is tough, it is heartbreaking with what they both have had to endure, and how that in turn affects them and what they share together, and it is emotional and so raw at every turn...but the level of fight and fire and strength those two have, how they push each other for more, how they push each other to find the real them, and how they push each other in the exact way they need, well that was EVERYTHING.

Penelope Douglas completely blew me away with what she created in this book. This story was more than just new adult goodness or an exceptional read. Don't get me wrong, it was all of those things and more, but it was more than that. It was a story of second chances. It was a story of seeing what could be, and seeing what could happen if you just took that leap of faith. It was a story about complicated people, with complicated pasts and hearts, trying to figure out if they could untie the knot that kept them both holding back. It was a story of strength and fire and giving it all you've got, putting it all on the line, and leaving your heart where it really mattered.

Falling Away was a story of two lost souls, two people many believed to have it all, yet who struggled with so much on the inside every second of every day. This story explored what happened when they found that one person who saw the real them, who saw who they really were, and who accepted them, flaws and mess and complications and all. This book is their journey to happiness, every up down and twist and turn in between, and it is one of the best books I have ever read. I have loved every book in this amazing series, but this one is my favorite. It was just so intense, so real and raw and emotional, so gritty and messy and uneasy at times, yet it was them. It was them and their lives and their feelings and vulnerabilities and their fire. It was their intensity and everything that came with the magnetic pull they shared, and it was one of the most all-feeling stories I have ever read.

It was a book that gave me it all, and so much more, and I will be forever grateful that I had the chance to read and experience every exceptional word of it. Penelope Douglas truly crafts and creates the best amount of everything in this book, and I for one will never forget what she gave me with KC and Jax, and with all of the other phenomenal characters that make this series what it is. Falling Away was the perfect read. It had it all, it gave me it all, and in the end when I reached that last page, I just wanted to start it all over again to keep experiencing what these characters so extraordinarily gave me with their story.

This book was everything. I can't say it enough. It was one of the most intense and powerful and meaningful and beautiful books I have ever read, and in between all of that it seamlessly wove together a love story that made melt something fierce. And honestly, it truly doesn't get better than that.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Away.

Quotes Megan Liked

Penelope Douglas
“Girls dress for others. Women dress for themselves.”

Penelope Douglas
“He gave us three irrefutible pieces of advice about the male species:
1. Boys will lie, cheat, and steal to get into your pants. A man will stand the test of time. Make him wait, and you'll see which one he is.
3. And relationships are supposed to make your life better. You don't drag each other down. You hold each other up.”

Penelope Douglas
“The more you suffered, the more you survived. It shaped people in different ways, and what broke one person could empower another.”

Penelope Douglas
“I guessed we've all built ourselves up through sadness, disappointment, and experience. It just happens at different times and in different ways.”

Penelope Douglas
“Only. Ever. You. Jaxon Trent.”

Penelope Douglas
“What they don't tell you is that you're more confused at twenty than you were at seventeen”

Penelope Douglas
“The world has plans for you, baby. Whether you’re ready or not. You can be either a driver or a passenger.”

Penelope Douglas
“I wrapped my arms around his waist. "You called me your girl." I nodded, waggling my eyebrows. "And," I continued, "you'd better believe this little wallflower will cut a bitch with that knife of yours if anyone lays a hand on you.”

Penelope Douglas
“Driving a stick is like sex,” he stated. “Every person you’re with is different. They’re like a code that needs to be broken.” He turned and ran his hands up both sides of the steering wheel, slow and smooth. “What parts like to be touched.” His sensual voice started stirring its way through my body. “Licked. Sucked. Bitten.”

Penelope Douglas
“Bite me, hit me, scream at me. I don't care. I want to feel it. Fucking hurt me, K.C. Let me see you.”

Penelope Douglas
“I love it when you get mouthy,” he whispered down on me. “It makes me want to shut you up.”

Penelope Douglas
“I’d always told myself that I deserved good things, that I was worthy, but fuck if I ever believed it. You can’t tell yourself anything. Your heart only believes what it feels, and experience is the best teacher.”

Penelope Douglas
“The watermelon juice spilling over your lip?” he indicated. “Lick it up or I will.”

Penelope Douglas
“We want a house, a car, a fancy f*cking vacation, and prestige. So what do we do? We go to school and we get jobs we hate to pay for the things we want. We deal with people we don't like and waste years of our lives sitting in stark fluorescent-lit rooms and listening to coworkers who bore us so we can pay for a small amount of precious time to enjoy what makes us happy, to achieve a fraction of our lives just feeling as if it was all worth it. We sacrifice to earn.”

Penelope Douglas
“Then you have the gas.” He smirked, and his eyes stayed on me as he revved the engine but didn’t go anywhere. “Working the two together, you find the sweet spot. The point where she lets you take control.”

Penelope Douglas
“Today. Also, use the word motherfucker at some point. You’ll feel a lot better. Trust me.”

Penelope Douglas
“This kid grew up,” he threatened in a deep voice, grinding his hard-on between my legs. “And you’re gonna fuckin’ find out.” Oh. My. God.”

Penelope Douglas
“Man, I wanted to unravel you, K.C.,” he whispered, and then looked me straight in the eye. “I wanted inside you so badly.”

Penelope Douglas
“I closed my burning eyes, and buried my lips in her hair. “I want to terrorize you,” I confessed. “I want to cut you without drawing blood. I want to break you.” I pulled her into me. “And then I want to fuck you.”

Penelope Douglas
“The question is, would you rather keep your secrets or keep her?”

Penelope Douglas
“Now I wished I tried more and wasn't so afraid to put myself out there. Maybe if I had reached out for new experiences, I'd known what I wanted to do with my life. Now my options felt limited, because I'd held myself back in high school....”

Penelope Douglas
“I’d always told myself that I deserve good things, that I was worthy, but if I ever believed it. You can’t tell yourself anything. Your heart only believes what it feels, and experience is the best teacher.”

Penelope Douglas
“Bringing a shaky hand to my mouth, I sucked in air as if it were going out of style.”

Penelope Douglas
“And relationships are supposed to make your life better. You don’t drag each other down. You hold each other up.”

Penelope Douglas
“This kid grew up," he threatened in a deep voice, grinding his hard-on between my legs. "And you're gonna fuckin' find out.”

Penelope Douglas
“I read once that the best thing that can happen to a woman is to get her heart broken. Before that, she has no real sense of herself. No real sense of pain, because only in love does she know what it’s like to find the one thing that gives her breath and then to lose it.

After that she knows she can survive. No matter what relationships come and go, she can count on herself to pull through, and although it hurts, the break is necessary.”

Penelope Douglas
“1. Boys will lie, cheat, and steal to get into your pants. A man will stand the test of time. Make him wait, and you’ll see which one he is. 2. They will try to tell you that it feels better without a condom. You just tell me where they live. 3. And relationships are supposed to make your life better. You don’t drag each other down. You hold each other”

Penelope Douglas
“bright smells and sounds of the carnival, and”

Penelope Douglas
“If you're the tornado, its everything in its way that gets destroyed.”

August 22, 2017 – Shelved