Bingeworthy Book Blog's Reviews > If There's No Tomorrow

If There's No Tomorrow by Jennifer L. Armentrout

bookshelves: reviewed

To say I’m a huge fan of Jennifer L Armentrout’s would be a little bit of an understatement.
I read everything she writes and adore her work and have done so ever since I discovered her Lux Series a few years ago.
And as with all her books, from the first page of If There’s No Tomorrow I was sucked into the world that she had created with her words.
I’ve shed many an ugly tear while reading J.L.A’s previous works but never before have I been hit by so many competing emotions at once.
I cried, I laughed and cried some more.
J.L.A’s words are so powerful, the characters she creates so supremely real that you can’t help but feel the emotions, such complex, turbulent emotions that the heroine, Lena, is experiencing.
At the beginning of the book Lena Wise is a somewhat optimistic girl, always looking forward to tomorrow, especially as she starts her senior year. She wants to spend as much time with her friends as she can before they all move on to college and she is thinking about letting her childhood best friend Sebastian know how she really feels about him, but with one decision, that optimism is shattered and Lena is left reeling.
I don’t want to get too involved in the heavy theme that’s prevalent throughout this book because it would give away too much of the story but I will say that this book deals honestly and thoughtfully with circumstances that could happen to anyone, either adult or young adult and although this book is technically classified as a YA or NA book, I firmly believe that it's a book that could be easily read and enjoyed by both teenagers and adults.
This book centres around dealing with the repercussions and consequences of one’s actions and of learning to forgive and to fight to live, to allow yourself to live.
If There’s No Tomorrow is an emotionally charged, thought provoking book with a female lead battling with the complexity of her emotions and mental state and a swoon-worthy male lead (J.L.A always creates such great book boyfriends!) who wants to be the rock his childhood best friend (who wants more) leans on, but Lena struggles to let herself feel, let herself lean on anyone:

‘The acute sense of awareness that always accompanied this kind of closeness was there. A shivery wave that rippled over my skin. It didn’t…it didn’t feel right. That aware feeling. Like I shouldn’t feel those things after what had happened. It wasn’t right.’

I’m not going to tell you anything else about this book. Like whether Lena finds more with Sebastian and if she allows herself to lean on Sebastian when she needs to.
I’m not going to tell you anything else because I want you to read this story. I want you to take this journey for yourself and experience it because I believe that it’s a story that everyone should read.

An arc of If There’s No Tomorrow was generously provided to me by Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If There's No Tomorrow.

Started Reading