Elise (TheBookishActress)'s Reviews > Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

There's got to be an award for starting out with me suspecting everyone and ending with me suspecting no one.

Any of you who know Agatha Christie will know the approximate concept of this novel; a detective investigates a suspicious murder on a stopped train. Yet this one is quite good; between the a fast-paced plot, dynamic cast of characters, and humorous moments, it's a great read.

Yet what truly stands out here is the reveals. Shocking me with a revelation despite it being a literal detective novel is brilliant. I suspected every character from the beginning, yet I still ended #shook at all the little reveals. The details of the story are so odd, and the ending solution so satisfying, that I almost want to give the book a reread.

Perhaps my one complaint would be the character confusion; it was sometimes hard to keep track of all twelve suspects. This is where I'd like to give a huge thank you to Dan Stevens' audio narration. His voice alone could kill me in an alleyway and I'd be grateful. If you're going to read this, please try the audiobook.

// SOMEWHAT SPOILERY PLOT SECTION //

This is a novel of twelve main suspects. Yes, you heard that right; twelve. There's Mary Debenham, an English girl and former governess, described as cold and gray-eyed. The English Colonel, aloof and mysterious and possibly connected to her. The Italian, suspected by Bouc because of racism. Monsieur Hartman, a mysterious detective. The young English McQueen, sharing his room with Poirot. His older companion Ratchet, full of malevolence. Princess Dragomiroff, the ugly and oddly-named Russian woman. The Hungarian prince and princess, a handsome thirty year old traveling with a twenty-year-old foreign woman with pale skin. Mrs. Hubbard, an older American woman and a fantastic busybody. A sheep-faced Swedish woman. Monsieur Harris, presumably late. And of course, Monsieur Bouc, an old friend of Poirot's, and our detective himself.

At 23 minutes to one, Poirot hears Ratchet moving around. A ting occurs at quarter past one, leading to a Mrs. Hubbard and conductor confrontation. Something heavy hits the door later, and a woman is walking down the hall near the conductor. In the morning, he finds Doctor Constatine, the big man, the vagonli conductor, and Bouc inside a cabin right before

The facts of Ratchet's death: Death occurred at about 1 am, or at least before 2. Ratchet was known to have been alive at about twenty to one from speaking to the conductor. The window was open, probably as a diversion. The door was locked and chained on the inside. He was stabbed in twelve places. Cheftor thinks it was a woman, but the Doctor thinks it was very strong and also a very unscientific crime. Who is right? Who is wrong? Why are they each so certain?

VERDICT: A fast-faced plot ending in a truly satisfying ending. This should be a quick and fun read for anyone who enjoys mysteries or suspense. I'm excited for the movie!

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Youtube

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder on the Orient Express.

August 22, 2017 – Shelved
September 24, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 5, 2017 – Shelved as: elise-s-to-buy-list
October 25, 2017 – Shelved as: what-kind-of-hype-hype-hype
July 23, 2018 – Shelved as: books-released-1900setc

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

marie yes!!!! i did feel the same way about the ending.. it's just so perfect idk??? and i think its almost impossible to know who it was because you're like not used to something like THAT if you know what i mean

Elise (TheBookishActress) @marie EXACTLY. oh my god it fucked me up I listened to almost three hours of the audiobook in one sitting (I DIDN'T EVEN PAUSE) it fucked me up so bad

Liam Degnan I loved this one! It was my first Christie novel - the next one I plan on reading is And Then There Were None.

Great review, Elise!

Elise (TheBookishActress) Liam wrote: "I loved this one! It was my first Christie novel - the next one I plan on reading is And Then There Were None.

Great review, Elise!"

thank you! hope you like that one - it's the only other Christie I've read, actually :)

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Nice review. Have you seen the film yet? I did and really enjoyed it, though the ending I never saw coming at all. And the reveals were so well done. Anyway, now I'll have to pick the book up too as the film version was my first foray into this whole thing. I need to get reading this books. :)

Elise (TheBookishActress) Kelly wrote: "Nice review. Have you seen the film yet? I did and really enjoyed it, though the ending I never saw coming at all. And the reveals were so well done. Anyway, now I'll have to pick the book up too a..."

I haven't! but I'm definitely excited - heard nothing but good things.