Lucie's Reviews > Agnes Grey

Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë

bookshelves: classics, victorian-lit

“It is foolish to wish for beauty. Sensible people never either desire it for themselves or care about it in others. If the mind be but well cultivated, and the heart well disposed, no one ever cares for the exterior.”

Have I mentioned how much I love Anne Brontë yet? I discovered her with The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and it will remain my favourite of hers, but Agnes Grey was absolutely amazing. I loved how realist it was, I got mad at Agnes' employers and their children, I fell for Mr Weston with Agnes... It was such a wonderful experience.

Anne, I miss you already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agnes Grey.

Quotes Lucie Liked

Anne Brontë
“He had not breathed a word of love, or dropped one hint of tenderness or affection, and yet I had been supremely happy. To be near him, to hear him talk as he did talk, and to feel that he thought me worthy to be so spoken to - capable of understanding and duly appreciating such discourse - was enough.”

Anne Brontë
“Reading is my favourite occupation, when I have leisure for it and books to read.”

August 21, 2017 – Shelved
August 21, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 21, 2017 – Shelved as: classics
September 15, 2017 – Started Reading
September 15, 2017 –
page 98
39.04% "I'm not very far into it because the introduction is quite long but very interesting, I'm curious about this one and I love Anne Brontë so much."
September 16, 2017 – Finished Reading