Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > Until You

Until You by Penelope Douglas

Read 2 times

After having practically devoured every amazing word of Bully, I was beyond ready to read Until You to get Jared's point of view on the story I loved so much. I loved getting to read Tate's point of view in that book because I felt like it was what was needed for the story, and it pulled me in so so much because I had to know why Jared was the way he was, and to get to the bottom of what he really felt towards Tate. What I got in Until You was a consuming, equally intense and mind blowing read that had my heart in my throat for Jared and all that he goes through. This book is him. This book is his truth, his life, his honesty all laid out bare. It is him through and through, and it was mesmerizing to dive deep into the head of the man that stole mine and Tate's heart in Bully.

From the very first page of this book I was hooked. I was hooked into Jared's head and feeling what he was through every moment. I was hooked into getting to peel back his character layer by layer to see what was underneath the front he put out to the world. I was so hooked into getting to see the events and story of Bully through his eyes and to get into his head through it all. I was hooked into him, his heart, and everything that man has been through. Penelope Douglas brought his head and his character to life in a way that was raw and authentic in the most believable way that truly allowed me to understand his character.

When I finished this book, I did so with a heart that was bursting with love for these characters and what they share. It was bursting more than it was when I first read Bully, because this book felt like getting the other half to the story. That's not to say that the story and what you get in Bully is incomplete, because that's not true, but Until You added such a dynamic layer to everything. It changed what I thought I knew and felt, it added to it all, and in the end it gave me a story I know I won't forget.

Now I will be the first to admit that "retelling" books aren't always my favorite. It's not that I don't love getting a new perspective one what I've already read, it's just that sometimes it can make me feel like I'm reading the exact same story again without anything changing. Well let me tell you, Until You is not a retelling book. It is not Bully verbatim from Jared's point of view. It is so much more. So much gloriously more. It is his story. It is his life and honesty and heart. It is his story from before the events of Bully through everything he and Tate share, plus a little bit more to get your heart all butterfly like. Until You is his journey to healing from the world of pain and hurt he's been through, while he simultaneously starts falling for his former best friend. This book is him through every word, and it owned me all the way through.

If you have read Bully, then I guarantee you will love Until You. You will love getting to be in Jared's head during those pivotal scenes that shaped the course of Jared and Tate's story, and you will absolutely love getting to know what it did to him at certain moments. I have to say though so of my favorite moments of this book were the new scenes that were added to what I already knew and loved about Bully. These scenes made this book for me. They made this book more, they made me love and feel for Jared more, and they opened my eyes and my heart more to his character with what they added to this book. They just gave me more. They gave me more understanding of why things were they way that they were, they allowed me to see exactly why things had gone the way they had, and it just seared my heart to this world and its characters even more.

I can't say enough how much I loved being with Jared and in his head in this book. Even though there were times when I physically hurt for that man and what he had been through, I loved getting to experience it all with him because it just let me get him. It let me get his choices and actions and it let me know why he acted the way he did. When I read Bully and Jared explained what he did to Tate, I got it there too, but Until You was an entire book of him that let me understand him. It was a book that gave me every intricate piece of his story and every emotion and reaction that went with it, and it heightened everything I got with these characters in this story. It put me right in the thick of it all with him, it had me loving the understanding I was getting through this book, and it just had me falling deeper and deeper under that mans alluring spell through it all.

What I love about Jared's character is that he's complicated. He's messy and rough around the edges, and he does not mince words. He is a character that's not afraid to push back, and even in those moments when it went too far or he regretted pushing the way he did, I got exactly where it all came from because of how exceptionally Penelope Douglas wrote this book. She allowed me to dive deep into that man and his thoughts, she let me see the vulnerability behind the front, and she let me feel what it was like for him to realize and feel what he did. She let me be there through every step of his journey to heal and that pulled me in infinitely to this book and what I was reading.

I have to say too that getting to be in Jared's head and to feel what he did for Tate made me blush and fall for those two even more. Penelope Douglas once again creates the most exceptional build and angst between those two in a way that had me on the edge of my seat, waiting for those two to give into it all. And even though I already knew how it would go for them because I had read Bully, I still felt that intensity and the all consuming nature of what they shared through every word. That is just part of what made me love this book so much. I just could not get enough of what they shared, how tense and real and electrifying it was, and how much it just made me melt and fall for those two.

After Bully I already knew I loved everything about what Jared and Tate shared, and all of that was solidified even more with Until You. This book made me love their love more, made me believe in it and them more, and in the end it gave me a world of characters I can't wait to get more of. (Here's looking at you Madoc and Jax!)

Every word of Until You blew me way. It owned me, gave me so many moments that shook me to my core, made me rethink everything that I knew, and that had me even more smitten with these characters than I already was. What Penelope Douglas gave me in this book was the other half and layer to a book that I loved. She gave me more, she gave me Jared, she gave me Tate, and she gave me their story of friendship that turns into hate and pain and hurt that turns into love and so much more than they bargained for. This book solidified my love even more for this author's writing and storytelling, and all I can think about a s I write this review is starting the next book in the series because I just want more! I want more of these characters, I want more of their stories, and I want more of everything this author allows me to feel with them along the way.

The Fall Away Series is one of the best New Adult Series I have ever read, and it is consuming me in every way. I can't say enough good things about it, and I can't tell you enough how much you need to read it. Trust me. These characters and everything they share will have you on the edge of intensity through every word, and you will love it! So do yourself a favor and start this series and read this book this very second. It would be wrong not to.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until You.

Quotes Megan Liked

Penelope Douglas
“Girlfriend isn’t enough to describe you, Tate. That term is disposable. You’re not my girlfriend, my girl, or my woman. You’re. Just. Mine,” I bit out every syllable, so she would fucking understand. “And I’m yours,” I added, a little calmer.”

Penelope Douglas
“Oh baby", Madoc groaned to the girl next to him. "Snickers ain't the only thing king sized.”

Penelope Douglas
“Now, I could go on about mommy didn’t love me and daddy hit me, but who doesn’t have a story, right?” I asked. “There are times when we can blame a situation on others, but we own our reactions to them. There comes a point where we are the ones responsible for our choices and excuses don’t carry weight anymore.”

Penelope Douglas
“I want to touch you,” I whispered against her lips. “I want to feel what’s mine. What’s always been mine”
Penelope Douglas , Until You

Penelope Douglas
“I’ve wanted you for so long,” I whispered against her mouth. “All the times I’d see you next door…it drove me crazy”

Penelope Douglas
“I know I can make this up to you. Don’t hate me.”

Penelope Douglas
“I love you more than myself,” I told her, “more than my own family, for Christ’s sake. I don’t want to take another step in this world without you next to me.”

Penelope Douglas
“You have every right not to trust me, Tate. I know that. My fucking heart is ripping open right now. I can’t stand the way you’re looking at me. I could never hurt you again. Please…let’s try to fix this together.”

Penelope Douglas
“There were two kinds of stupid. Stupid people that got drunk and humped trees, and stupid people that just humped trees.”

Penelope Douglas
“It’s the moment when you know that you can have what you want if you’re only brave enough to say so. It’s a split second when everything can change, but you pussy out because you’re too afraid to risk the rejection.”

Penelope Douglas
“She stared at me, almost amused. “You’ve already made me cry countless times.” And she raised her middle finger to me. “Do you know what this is?” she asked as she took it and patted the corner of her eye with it. “It’s me, wiping away the last tear you’ll ever get.”

Penelope Douglas
“You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all of those things, and I loved you. But now…you’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.”

Penelope Douglas
“You’re poisonous, toxic, bad for my health. You’re greedy, sly, way too stealth. You hurt me, use me, mistreat and abuse me. But your apologetic eyes, As you tell your lies, Draw me back in, And I forgive every sin. I take you back, Your love is my crack. I’m clearly a masochist, You’re my personal terrorist. My tormentor, My lover, My bully, My friend.”

Penelope Douglas
“My heart only beat for her, and I’d rather spend my life hating, loving, fucking, and breathing her than losing her.”

Penelope Douglas
“That’s the thing about change. It can be gradual. Slow and almost unnoticeable. Or it can be sudden, and you don’t even know how you could’ve been any other way.”

Penelope Douglas
“I’ll do anything to be good for you, Tate.”
“Anything, baby,” I promised.
“Anything?” she laughed out, her eyes bright with happiness and love.
“Have you ever considered a nipple piercing?”

Penelope Douglas
“I can’t change the past, Tate. I wish I could, because I’d go back and relive every day that I existed without you, and I’d make sure that you smiled.” My eyes burned with regret, and I saw the pools in her beautiful blues, too. “Every minute of my future belongs to you.”

Penelope Douglas
“She’d look at me, and I’d stop dead in my tracks, never wanting to leave that moment. Do you know what that’s like?” I scanned the audience. “Day in and day out, you’re thrilled to be alive and experience a million moments of love and happiness that constantly compete with each other. Every day was better than the last.”

Penelope Douglas
“The point is some people think they have a leading role when, really, they're just supporting cast.”
tags: jared

Penelope Douglas
“The first thing that came to mind was an angel. Her hair flowing and shiny. Her legs dangling, long and smooth. She looked perfect where she was, like a painting.
And then I remembered that Satan was also an angel.”

Penelope Douglas
“Maybe that's the thing I'd been missing about love. You don't withhold it or partition it out when it's deserved. You can't control it like that.”

Penelope Douglas
“Becoming hard at heart isn’t an intersection in your brain where you have a choice to turn left or right. It’s coming to a dead end, and you just keep going, over the cliff, unable to stop the inevitable, because the truth is you just don’t want to.”

Penelope Douglas
“K.C. reminded me of that blonde chick on The Vampire Diaries that runs around acting like every problem in the entire universe has something to do with her.”

Penelope Douglas
“Gotta love a woman that can hand you your own ass.”

Penelope Douglas
“I call it the “Fuck up, own up, and get up” policy. Make a mistake, admit it, and move on. We all screw up, but a man solves his problems. He doesn’t make them worse.”

Penelope Douglas
“That’s the thing about change.
It can be gradual. Slow and almost unnoticeable.
There is freedom in the fall.”

Penelope Douglas
“Tate always loved the rain. She came alive in it, and I hadn't been able to enjoy seeing her like this in years. Part of me always wondered what magic she saw in thunderstorms, and part of me didn't need to know. Just watching her was like hearing music in my head.”

Penelope Douglas
“Becoming hard at heart isn't an intersection in your brain where you have a choice to turn left or right. It's coming to a dead end, and you just keep going, over the cliff, unable to stop the inevitable, because the truth is you just don't want to. There is freedom in the fall.”

Penelope Douglas
“Okay, lesson on Tate and music. If fans do anything less than carve the band's name into their skin, then the band isn't worth listening to. Any music that involves more than jumping around and banging your head is about as exciting as Kenny G to her.”

Penelope Douglas
“You did wrong and the wrong doesn't owe you anything. I'm not going to wipe your nose just because you come from a broken home and you think that gives you a license to behave badly. I call it the "Fuck up, own up and get up" policy. Make a mistake, admit it, and move on. We all screw up, but a man solves his problems. He doesn't make them worse.”

Penelope Douglas
There is freedom in the fall.”

Penelope Douglas
“Maybe that's the thing I'd missed about love, you don't withhold it or partition it out when it's deserved."
#UntilYou”

Finished Reading
August 16, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
August 20, 2017 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
August 20, 2017 – Shelved
August 20, 2017 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D. Just finished Bully, looking forward to this one!