Amanda's Reviews > Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon Morell

Sep 17, 2011

bookshelves: cooking, health

This is a combination political platform/recipe book. At times the quotes become overbearing, yet I think it's a good corrective to the current state of health misinformation out there. I will say that I don't think all humans are adapted to all traditional foodways - our bodies are simply more diverse than that. But traditional foods support my well-being far more than common industrialized foodstuff.

This is a very ideological book. However, after "normal" American cuisine & experiments in various dietary restrictions & fads (vegetarian, low-fat, etc) left me feeling drained, this book came to my rescue, at least in the sense of supporting me in eating what energized me wholesomely, rather than what I "should" eat based on some ideology.

I admit that some of the recipes are not so tasty to me, but overall I've enjoyed what I've made. I'm particularly pround of making lacto-fermented veggies.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nourishing Traditions.