Tenille Shade's Reviews > The Storm in the Barn

The Storm in the Barn by Matt Phelan

Sep 17, 2011

bookshelves: children-s-literature

I just finished reading the Storm in the Barn. I am not usually a fan of graphic novels, but I this wordless picuture book captured and stirred some pretty complicated feelings as I turned each page. There are deep thematic messages that would stretch a kids thinking; although, I'm not sure that 9 & 10 year olds could understand it. I'm not even sure if I understood it!

The book has a sinister feel to it, and I was intrigued. The father's curse words will definitely be an issue; however, I think the author was trying to show his bitterness. I'm glad he hugged the boy at the end of the book, because I saw him more as the villian rather than the rain monster.

This book would be a great tool for teaching metacognition. The thinking I did was pretty intense, and I could definitely see how a gifted child might pursue further study of the Dust Bowl because of this title. I am a little puzzled as to why it was chosen as a Bluebonnet book, and I'd like to read some of his other books to see if all of them are this dark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storm in the Barn.