Beth's Reviews > Hedda Gabler

Hedda Gabler by Henrik Ibsen

Sep 17, 2011

bookshelves: classic, september-2011, 2011-reads, read-on-kindle, fantastic-characters

This is undoubtedly a play to be performed if one ever existed. Hedda is a brilliant female character - Lady Macbeth meets Betty Draper. She must be applauded as a female character who is not a hero or a villain, not a bitch or a crone, but a cruel, neurotic, charismatic presence. I was surprised by the almost feminism of Ibsen's play, how he manages to serve Hedda so well, with fantastic dry wit - the subtlety of the scene between her and Judge Brack would be spine-chilling on stage - and glorious theatrics - I'm a big fan of the scene that opened the second scene, with Hedda's shooting. She's described as 'the female Hamlet', and I can see this comparison. For all the love Hedda gets, though, George/Jorgen, her husband, must get some recognition. If Hedda is Hamlet, then George is Ophelia; if Ophelia is the delicate child whom Hamlet destroys through his own selfishness, then the situation between George and Hedda is even more complex and open to interpretation. While Hedda claims to do an unselfish thing in (view spoiler), something for her and George, but Ibsen still brilliantly captures George's impotence, his pathetic love for Hedda and childlike naivete to counter Hedda's merciless exploitation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hedda Gabler.

September 17, 2011 – Started Reading
September 17, 2011 – Shelved
September 17, 2011 –
37.0% ""I am not indifferent. I am most eager to see who wins." I LOVE Hedda already."
September 17, 2011 –
76.0% ""I have no objection to back ways." "Where there is ball practice going on?" "When there is only one cock in the basket..." -- the characters of Hedda love to talk dirty!"
September 17, 2011 – Shelved as: classic
September 17, 2011 – Shelved as: september-2011
September 17, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011-reads
September 17, 2011 – Shelved as: read-on-kindle
September 17, 2011 – Shelved as: fantastic-characters
September 17, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Elessar The epithets you have used for her a fantastic, she is a complex character, but her envy reminds of Iago. Anywayz, great analysis.

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars