Tiera McMillian's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

bookshelves: march2019

Whew, this book was a pretty intense start to the series! I was engrossed from the very beginning. I think the writing style was so impactful and dramatic, it was almost impossible to turn my gaze away! We do have a very slow revealing backstory but answers are coming so I never felt cheated or too terribly lost, but I am an impatient person.. I did feel that super young teeny angst, but it really didn't bother me in this book like it does in others. I just feel like so much is going on, its hard to know where everyone stands especially when we don't yet have all the information. I did like how the FMC, Juliette stayed true to her character throughout, there was no meekness to Bad A right off the bad. She didn't turn vengeful or harden herself despite all of what is being done to her.

Set in an apocalyptic/dystopian type setting our FMC, Juliette has been imprisoned in a mental institute for a really long time now. Thrown in for being "different," her touch being her very own kryptonite. Days fade into weeks into months and so on, until one day her routine is changed forever when they throw in a roommate, a boy, Adam. She remembers Adam, from before her imprisonment. Just as she starts to grow closer to Adam, she is taken from her prison cell, to be used by a monster who wants her ability, her touch. It turns out Adam has his own secrets, surprisingly Adam is also maybe the only person immune to her ability. Danger lurks everywhere as her captor becomes increasingly erratic and obsessive where she is concerned. Together her and Adam attempt to escape... but where is there to go where they cannot be found? Is there hope for a better life out there? What has the world become while she has been locked away with her tiny window.

I honestly wanted to dive right into book 2. I can't wait to see where this series is headed! Now I feel like the real story is about to begin and I hope we continue to get some backstory and answers along the way!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

August 19, 2017 – Shelved