Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader's Reviews > Side by Side

Side by Side by Jenni L. Walsh

bookshelves: 2018-reads, arcs, kindle-version

5 hopelessly devoted stars to Side by Side: A Novel of Bonnie and Clyde! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

I have long been fascinated by Bonnie and Clyde and have always wanted to learn more about them. I bought Becoming Bonnie when it was released, but have not read it yet. That fact did not affect my enjoyment of Side by Side. It can definitely stand on its own and is a fulfilling story as is, though I intend to read Becoming Bonnie so I can learn more about her early life and to understand her better.

It’s Texas in 1931, during the Great Depression, and Bonnie is waiting for Clyde to come home. He is languishing in prison, and she is pining for him and the life together they had once imagined. She writes a letter to the government begging for less jail time for him.

Clyde eventually returns, but he’s not the same...Are their big dreams forever shattered? How will they survive when Clyde cannot get or keep a job, and money is hard to come by? Clyde decides he is never returning to jail, but at what cost?

Side by Side felt as real as Bonnie and Clyde once were. Bonnie’s love and devotion for Clyde were palpable, and even though we all know the ending they succumbed to, the ride that led them there was thrilling and dramatic. Overall, Side by Side was an honest and tragic tale of this infamous, larger-than-life pair.

Thank you to Jenni L. Walsh, Forge Books, and Netgalley for the ARC. Side by Side will be released on June 5, 2018.

My reviews can also be found on my blog: www.jennifertarheelreader.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Side by Side.

August 19, 2017 – Shelved
August 19, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 26, 2018 – Started Reading
May 26, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads
May 26, 2018 – Shelved as: arcs
May 26, 2018 – Shelved as: kindle-version
May 31, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Awesome review, Jennifer! Glad you, enjoyed it. It sounds really interesting. 💟

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Sounds really good! Fantastic review Jennifer!!! 💜

message 3: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana terrific review Jennifer!! 😊💕

message 4: by KAS (new)

KAS Wonderful review, Jennifer! This sounds like quite the interesting read ;) Glad you really enjoyed! XoXo

message 5: by Fred (new)

Fred Shaw Sounds just lime something I would like. Thanks 4 your interesting review Jennifer, my Tar Heel friend!

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Awesome review, Jennifer !!

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• Fab review ❤️

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Awesome review, Jennifer! Glad you, enjoyed it. It sounds really interesting. 💟"

Thanks, Mary Beth! It definitely had me glued to it! 💗

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Sounds really good! Fantastic review Jennifer!!! 💜"

Thanks, Lindsay! Xo 😘

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Svetlana wrote: "terrific review Jennifer!! 😊💕"

Thanks, Svetlana! 💗

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader KAS wrote: "Wonderful review, Jennifer! This sounds like quite the interesting read ;) Glad you really enjoyed! XoXo"

Thanks so much, KAS! It was absolutely enthralling! Xo 😘

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Fred wrote: "Sounds just lime something I would like. Thanks 4 your interesting review Jennifer, my Tar Heel friend!"

Thanks, Fred, my fellow Tar Heel buddy! 🐑 I think you would enjoy this one, and probably Becoming Bonnie too.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Megan wrote: "Awesome review, Jennifer !!"

Thanks so much, Megan! 💗

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• wrote: "Fab review ❤️"

Thanks, Jenny! Xo 💜

message 15: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan T. sweet review, Jennifer! book sounds interesting

message 16: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!

message 17: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Terrific review, Jennifer!!

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Great review Jennifer! Wish I had seen this on NG! Great pick!

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Really nice review, Jennifer! So glad you enjoyed 😊

message 20: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Excellent review Jennifer

message 21: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Fab review, dear! 🙌💟

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Susan wrote: "sweet review, Jennifer! book sounds interesting"

Thanks so much, Susan! 💕

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Deanna wrote: "Great review!!"

Thank you, Deanna!

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen Yay! 5❤️ for a 5 ⭐️review!

message 25: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Great review! Glad you enjoyed!

Babydimps (Suzy) Super review Jennifer! I’m also fascinated with Bonnie and Clyde. I’ve read Becoming Bonnie and am looking forward to this one, so I’m happy to see all the stars! ⭐️

message 27: by DeAnn (new)

DeAnn What a great review Jennifer. I'm growing in my appreciation for books like this!

message 28: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Great review ,Jennifer! I remember the movie it always amazed me how I could care about them after all they did !

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie I have the same problem (surprise, surprise). This looks fun.

message 30: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Sounds fascinating, great review Jennifer!

message 31: by Marialyce (new) - added it

Marialyce Love your review and I am adding this one to that small pile of TBR books!

message 32: by Cheri (new) - added it

Cheri Fabulous review, Jennifer! I can't help it, I have to add this one!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Jaline wrote: "Terrific review, Jennifer!!"

Thanks, Jaline!

Lisa wrote: "Great review Jennifer! Wish I had seen this on NG! Great pick!"

Thanks, Lisa! I hope you can still find an opportunity to read it!

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister wrote: "Really nice review, Jennifer! So glad you enjoyed 😊"

Thanks, Kris! 💕

Miriam wrote: "Excellent review Jennifer"

Thanks, Miriam! Xo

*TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Fab review, dear! 🙌💟"

Thanks so much, TQ! 💗

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Jen wrote: "Yay! 5❤️ for a 5 ⭐️review!"

Thanks, Jen! ❤️

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Meredith wrote: "Great review! Glad you enjoyed!"

Thanks, Meredith!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Super review Jennifer! I’m also fascinated with Bonnie and Clyde. I’ve read Becoming Bonnie and am looking forward to this one, so I’m happy to see all the stars! ⭐️"

Thanks, Suzy! If you read Becoming Bonnie, I think you are in for even more of a treat! I can’t wait to read your thoughts! Xo

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader DeAnn wrote: "What a great review Jennifer. I'm growing in my appreciation for books like this!"

Thanks, DeAnn! Yes, definitely some of my personal favorites!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Angela M wrote: "Great review ,Jennifer! I remember the movie it always amazed me how I could care about them after all they did !"

Thanks, Angela! I know! I think they were just so human, it made us feel for them.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Julie wrote: "I have the same problem (surprise, surprise). This looks fun."

The same problem as Angela, Julie? It was an entertaining read.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Holly wrote: "Sounds fascinating, great review Jennifer!"

Thanks, Holls!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Marialyce wrote: "Love your review and I am adding this one to that small pile of TBR books!"

Thanks, Marialyce! That “small” pile?! 😂 Love it!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Cheri wrote: "Fabulous review, Jennifer! I can't help it, I have to add this one!"

Thanks, Cheri! I don’t think you’ll regret it!

message 43: by Julie (new)

Julie No, I have the same problem as you. I've always loved the Bonnie and Clyde story.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader That totally makes sense, Julie. I could not remember how I knew about them, but someone reminded me of the movie. I must have watched it “on tape” as a child? Such a fascinating pair.

message 45: by Julie (new)

Julie The movie with Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty seemed to be re-run perpetually in the late 70s and early 80s, and that's where I got all of my "information," which could be a frighteningly inaccurate source! I loved anything with Faye Dunaway as a kid, because she was a badass lady with a sultry voice. I always wanted one of those sultry voices.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader You’re right- maybe I was able to see it on TV! I want to watch the movie again so I can listen to Faye Dunaway!

message 47: by Julie (new)

Julie Faye Dunaway and Lauren Bacall. . . those were some sultry ladies.

message 48: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana wonderful review Jennifer 🙂

message 49: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Interesting book and a great review Jennifer😄

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Svetlana wrote: "wonderful review Jennifer 🙂"

Thank you, Svetlana! 💗