Jo's Reviews > The Glass Collector

The Glass Collector by Anna Perera

Sep 17, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: for-review, own, 2012, ya, good-grief, history-smishtory, kiddlywinks, e

3.5 stars.

It’s normal in Cairo- the city of magic and ancient mysteries- for rich and poor to stand side by side, to share the same doorways and buildings, the same streets, without ever really seeing each other.

“Nothing can satisfy our minds like the kinds of journeys we are capable of when we use our imaginations. Only then can we discover the truth.

When I visited Cairo a couple of years ago, the thing that struck me the most was how fascinating and incredibly daunting it was seeing two completely different lifestyles living within the same city.
On one hand you have the cool, air conditioned museums, the restaurants, the five star hotels, the tour buses full of tourists who are suffering from incredible cases of sunstroke.
(Well, ok, that may have just been me. My skin can’t even handle a Mancunian summer, I practically combusted in the Sahara.)
But on the other, the side that they don’t cover in the guide books, is something completely different and this is what The Glass Collector is about.
From the first page I could tell how passionate Ms Perera was about telling Aaron’s story. It’s honest without being too preachy. It’s harrowing without being too intense. It’s sweet without being too saccharine. And I really appreciated how Ms Perera portrayed Aaron’s happiness with the same importance as his struggles.
The only problem I had with this book was the style in which it was written (third person, present tense) and I’m not sure whether it’s just because I’m not used to reading books like this or what, but I can’t say I was a fan.

But other than that it was a really fascinating look into a subject which is very rarely addressed in literature, never mind young adult/middle grade books.
I’d really recommend it, especially for readers on the younger side of YA.

I received a copy of this book from the publishers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Collector.

September 17, 2011 – Shelved