Jeffrey Keeten's Reviews > The Night Market

The Night Market by Jonathan   Moore

bookshelves: post-apocalyptic, san-francisco, california

”He didn’t know what was going on with him. He felt so hollowed out, he could almost hear the rush of the emptiness inside him. It was the blank sound at the mouth of an elevator shaft.

He had no idea what would fill that hole, no sense of what he was looking for.”

”I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in the fingertips
It burned like fire
This burning desire
I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was one empty night
I was cold as a stone
But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for
But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for”

I Still Haven’t Found What I’m looking for---U2

The ethereal sounds of the Joshua Tree album kept floating through my head as I read this book, played at a slower speed so Bono’s enunciation was elongated. Blue and red electric sheep froliced on the periphery of my vision. I watched my cell phone spin slowly in a pitcher of water. Bubbles streamed upward as if it were drowning. I put a book on top of the pitcher, not a good book, but one of those books that trees weep over the making. I’d already turned the TV to face the wall. I unplugged everything electronic in the house. It took a sledgehammer to break my computer into enough jagged pieces to ease the bubbling anxiety in my stomach. I looked at the scattered plastic pieces on the lawn and resisted the urge to fling them over the fence or better yet throw them into the nearest bog and watch them sink from view. I shut the blinds to keep from looking at them.

Where’s Deckard when you need him?

I’m writing this on a Big Chief Tablet with a #2 pencil. (I tore the cover off the tablet because the Indian was inducing me to buy Indian Motorcycle Cigars.) Old school, you say? Well read this book, and you might think that old school is as hip as you want to be. I have a friend who is going to pick these pages up and take them to another friend and so on. Some brave soul in Russia will be the one who actually loads my words up to the web. I hope the glow worms in his head don’t make him give me up for a lifetime supply of Black Aria perfume.

Need, want, desire. Who can separate them anymore?

”Three women were taking shelter from the rain beneath the bar’s awning, their faces lit by the paper-thin glowcard advertisements they held. Every few seconds, one of the women would tap a glowcard against her cell phone to consummate a purchase. Discarded screens pulsed like LED embers around their feet, twinkling with soft music and looping videos.”

If you resemble this ensemble, then you probably should stop reading this review now because it is probably pointless. This review will not tell you what you want to hear. It will not liberate you. You are probably already lost.

What do I tell you about Ross Carver? He is a cop who lands in…”gray moss. Like a carpet of it spread across a rot-shrunken log. Carver could see the bones of his fingers, could see the riverine fissure marks in his skull where patches of scalp had eaten away.” He is thrown into a decontamination unit along with his partner, Jenner. He wakes up in his bed with no memory of...well...much of anything. His beautiful and intriguing neighbor Mia is sitting by his side reading a book to him.

It all feels right with a serpentine twist of something very wrong.

"If she's not crazy," Jenner said, "then she knows something. But maybe it's not the same thing she's telling you."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Mia’s apartment, though.

”He saw no TVs, no computers, no telephones and no radios. Instead, she had books. Hundreds and thousands of hardback volumes on shelves built throughout the apartment. It smelled like the Rare Books room of the San Francisco Library--aged leather and the exotic musk of dry paper.”

Oh sweet nectar...daddy’s home.

Mia peels the labels from her wine bottles. That might sound eccentric, but not to me. I want to drink a bottle of wine because I’ve chosen to drink a bottle of wine.

Carver, the poor bastard, really tries, but he is caught in a situation where, even if he wins every battle, he will still lose the war. The conspiracy is bone deep. To bring it down, he’d have to reboot civilisation and leave it...dark. This book is set in the near future, or so they say. I’m the one sitting here watching my cell phone drown in the present, or is it already the past?

Jonathan Moore has written a loosely connected San Francisco trilogy which frankly ends with a glow-rious bang. The writing is top shelf; the thrills bring chills, and the noir atmosphere drips with the metallic essence of Blade Runner. It is only science-fiction if you don’t want to believe.

If you wish to see more of my most recent book and movie reviews, visit http://www.jeffreykeeten.com
I also have a Facebook blogger page at:https://www.facebook.com/JeffreyKeeten

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Market.

August 18, 2017 – Started Reading
August 18, 2017 – Shelved
August 25, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 30, 2017 – Shelved as: post-apocalyptic
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: san-francisco
June 19, 2019 – Shelved as: california

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Jeffrey Keeten Joshua wrote: "Very engaging review, Jeff."

Thanks Joshua!

message 2: by Lars (new) - added it

Lars Jerlach Another great review...!

Jeffrey Keeten Lars wrote: "Another great review...!"

Thank you Sir Lars!

message 4: by Aarya Pillai (new)

Aarya Pillai Intriguing.
That is this review summed up in one word. It was just like your review on 'The Profession of Violence'. I might not have been able to understand the entire review, but something in your writing kept me engrossed. Thank you very much, Mr Keeten!

Jeffrey Keeten Aarya Pillai wrote: "Intriguing.

You are welcome Aarya! This is an alternative review style for sure. :-) The book inspired me to approach reviewing it differently. Thanks for reading the review Aarya!

message 6: by Ted (new) - added it

Ted Well, Jeffrey, this is different! 8 )
As Joshua said, engaging for sure.

Jeffrey Keeten Ted wrote: "Well, Jeffrey, this is different! 8 )
As Joshua said, engaging for sure."

Hey when someone writes as many reviews as I do a year. I have to mix it up sometimes. :-) I'm glad you found it engaging.

message 8: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen McLoughlin you made me want to read it - all by yourself.

Jeffrey Keeten Stephen wrote: "you made me want to read it - all by yourself."

Thank you Stephen! You are going to love it! All three of the San Francisco based novels he has written have been fantastic.

Michael Great call and response to your delightful review. Seriously engaging to go from your own reality and dreams from reading this to stages in the book's descent into something twisted, spiked with perfect quotes. Tasty at the end with past and future mergings.

You do the best service of pioneering the good stuff for me. Appetite whetted and I don't have to wait for its publication date of Jan 2018 as it is on Netgalley. The blurb helps me by saying it would appeal to fans of Crouch, Mieville, and Beukes.

Jeffrey Keeten Michael wrote: "Great call and response to your delightful review. Seriously engaging to go from your own reality and dreams from reading this to stages in the book's descent into something twisted, spiked with pe..."

I'm so glad you will be able to get a copy on Netgallery. The publisher was so kind enough to send me an ARC. I don't read ebooks anymore. I'm on a computer all day at work the last thing I want to do is come home and be on another electronic device.

I wrote this review, and was actually kind of excited about the idea of it, but then after reading back through it I thought... is anyone going to get what I'm trying to do here? My wife convinced me it was good so I went ahead and posted it. I'm so glad you enjoyed it Michael. Thanks for your reassuring words about this review.

I need to read more Beukes. I've only read Moxyland so far.

message 12: by Vessey (last edited Oct 03, 2017 10:13AM) (new)

Vessey I really love Bono and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, which is why I have no idea why I hadn't heard or even thought of it for so long. Thank you for bringing it back to me. :) And for this wonderful review! I was happy to read it again. You made me want to know more about the book woman. I love you <3

Jeffrey Keeten Vessey wrote: "I really love Bono and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, which is why I have no idea why I hadn't heard or even thought of it for so long. Thank you for bringing it back to me. :) And for..."

One of those perfect albums that floats into my head quite frequently. I'm glad you enjoyed this rather odd review, but I was trying to express how the book made me feel about hazards of technology. What do we gain compared to what we lose? Thanks!

message 15: by Vessey (new)

Vessey I was happy to read this great review again. :)

Jeffrey Keeten SAVANNA KIRWIN wrote: "no i dont"

Don't want to believe? Well than this book is not for you Savanna!

Jeffrey Keeten Vessey wrote: "I was happy to read this great review again. :)"

Thanks!

Holly  B Doesn't seem so impossible anymore does it?

Jeffrey Keeten Indeed not, Holly!

message 20: by Forrest (new)

Forrest A wonderfully evocative review, Jeffrey. You've done a nice job of breaking the fourth wall here just enough to draw the reader in. Awesome, as always!

Jeffrey Keeten Forrest wrote: "A wonderfully evocative review, Jeffrey. You've done a nice job of breaking the fourth wall here just enough to draw the reader in. Awesome, as always!"

When I launched this review I kept thinking to myself are they going to realize what I'm doing? Or have I mishandled it so badly they won't be able to grasp what I'm trying to do? So thank you very much Forrest for providing me with some much needed reassurance about this one. :-)

message 22: by Jonathan morris (new)

Jonathan morris I have actually herd that a good book

Jeffrey Keeten Jonathan morris wrote: "I have actually herd that a good book"

I really enjoy this author's work!

Jeffrey Keeten Manveen wrote: "is review better than book !!or book better"

Book is always better than my reviews Manveen!

message 25: by Denisdaily (new)

Denisdaily jeffrey keeten can i talk to you

message 26: by Muzhen (new)

Muzhen Guy dennisdaily lets us be friends.