Matthew's Reviews > Artemis

Artemis by Andy Weir

bookshelves: gr_awards_2018, 2018, sci-fi, kindle, humor, political-thrillers

When Artemis first came out I started seeing lots of one and two star reviews. Not wanting to spoil the book, I didn't read them very in depth. But, the star situation had me concerned as I was looking forward to this book as I enjoyed The Martian very much. Was I in for a big letdown?

Lucky for me, the book was a 4 star experience!

Thoughts on why others rated it so low - these are just guesses, I may be totally wrong:

It is not The Martian - sometimes when people are a huge fan of a book they are hoping for a same experience with the next book. While it had shades of The Martian with the space science and the sarcastic humor, it is not The Martian. For me, this was not a problem.

It is a comedy - this is a funny/silly book. Sarcastic, cynical, innuendo filled humor is rampant. If you are not a fan of borderline inappropriate jokes or cheesy puns, this is not the book for you. I liked it and thought it was hilarious!

Science/Technology - After The Martian, I think it would be expected, but this book has a lot of science/engineering and maybe that detracted too much from the story for some. It did not bother me.

It is a caper - in addition to the heavy science/engineering, there is also a fairly complex espionage/political intrigue element to the story line. Figuring out what exactly is happening and why is a bit difficult. For me, this was one part I can sort of agree seemed not quite as tightly woven as the rest of the book.

So, I liked it! Since other people I kind of expected to like this didn't, I am not quite sure who to recommend it to. But, if Weir keeps writing, I will keep coming back for more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis.

August 18, 2017 – Shelved
page 23
7.14% "Smuggling contraband"
January 25, 2018 –
page 69
21.43% "Listen all y'all this is sabotage!"
January 26, 2018 –
page 113
35.09% "EVA"
January 27, 2018 –
page 158
49.07% "A prostitute on the moon . . . I feel like there is a pun in here somewhere . . ."
January 28, 2018 –
page 229
71.12% ""On a scale from one to 'invade Russia in winter,' how stupid is this plan?""
January 29, 2018 – Shelved as: humor
January 29, 2018 – Shelved as: political-thrillers
January 29, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)

message 1: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Glad to see a positive review, Matthew. Like you I had gotten discouraged after all the low ratings. I have this on my list to read, I’ll probably try to squeeze it in sometime this year.

Matthew Quann Great to read an opinion from the other side. Thanks for your review Matthew!

Eric Good to see a positive review! I got this for Christmas, but because of all the reviews I’ve kind of put it on the back burner. I’ll probably pick it up again, now!

Ginger Thanks for the review Matthew. I was seeing the bad reviews as well and was worried. I’ll definitely try to get to this one soon. Sarcastic and cynical humor, here I come!

message 5: by Figgy (new) - added it

Figgy Glad you enjoyed it, Matthew!

I personally found the humor in this one tried too hard, like Weir was thinking “I should throw in a joke, here” as opposed to in The Martian where it felt organic. I also had issues with the character building, and the fact that Jazz was supposedly so intelligent (EVERYONE told her at least once) but she didn’t seem to really have the intelligence they gave her credit for, because she could never anticipate the bad things that would happen as a result of her plots, though I could.

Matthew Matt wrote: "Glad to see a positive review, Matthew. Like you I had gotten discouraged after all the low ratings. I have this on my list to read, I’ll probably try to squeeze it in sometime this year."

I hope you enjoy when you give it a shot!

Matthew Matthew wrote: "Great to read an opinion from the other side. Thanks for your review Matthew!"

No problem! I will have to check out your 1 star review to see your opposing viewpoint! 😉

Matthew Eric wrote: "Good to see a positive review! I got this for Christmas, but because of all the reviews I’ve kind of put it on the back burner. I’ll probably pick it up again, now!"

I hope that it works for you - I may just be an anomoly

Matthew Ginger wrote: "Thanks for the review Matthew. I was seeing the bad reviews as well and was worried. I’ll definitely try to get to this one soon. Sarcastic and cynical humor, here I come!"

You and I tend to be on the same wavelength when it comes to books, so I think you will like it.

Matthew Figgy wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it, Matthew!

Thanks, Figgy! I can easily see how somone would feel the humor in this one is forced and over the top. But, it is right up my alley. Just ask my wife when she is finally done rolling her eyes at me.

I can also see what you mean about Jazz, and I didn't even really think about that much. Maybe it is smart in most ways, but not when it comes to common sense!

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela What put me off was the buzz about this being a YA book. I am not a fan of YA in general. Your review has jump-started my interest, but would you say it’s more YA or adult? (I don’t mean to be an Anti-YA snob...I just don’t care for them in general.)

message 12: by Adina (new) - added it

Adina You restored some faith in this book. i bought it but i avoided starting it until now.

Matthew Pamela wrote: "What put me off was the buzz about this being a YA book. I am not a fan of YA in general. Your review has jump-started my interest, but would you say it’s more YA or adult? (I don’t mean to be an A..."

Oh, wow, really!? In no way would I describe this as a YA book. You would be hard pressed to convince me that it should be categorized as YA. I mean, I am sure some teens would enjoy it, but it is not even close to YA.

Matthew Adina wrote: "You restored some faith in this book. i bought it but i avoided starting it until now."

I hope you enjoy! I kept waiting to not like it after the reviews I read, but I just kept enjoying it.

Summer Helpful review! My book club is reading this soon and I’m not jazzed about it, but this helped a little.

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica Nice review! It's on my radar, not urgent but it's there. Your review helps to keep it there. ;-)

Matthew Summer wrote: "Helpful review! My book club is reading this soon and I’m not jazzed about it, but this helped a little."

Ha, Jazzed! The main character is named Jazz so that amuses me. I hope you do enjoy it!

Matthew Monica wrote: "Nice review! It's on my radar, not urgent but it's there. Your review helps to keep it there. ;-)"

Glad to give positive vibes! 😃

message 19: by Ioana (new) - added it

Ioana Nice review with no spoilers, thanks! I hope to read it soon (I'm in the LOOOOVED The Martian camp).

Matthew Ioana wrote: "Nice review with no spoilers, thanks! I hope to read it soon (I'm in the LOOOOVED The Martian camp)."

Thanks, Ioana! I hope you enjoy!

Paula W I , too, loved The Martian. So much that I made all my friends read it. Yet I hated this book even though I looked forward to it forever. For me, there was so much wrong with this. Glad you liked it, though!

Matthew Paula W wrote: "I , too, loved The Martian. So much that I made all my friends read it. Yet I hated this book even though I looked forward to it forever. For me, there was so much wrong with this. Glad you liked i..."

I just had too much fun to notice any problem points. I am sorry you didn't like it! 😉

message 23: by Alexis (new) - added it

Alexis Thanks for the review Matthew, it does differ to some others I have read who weren't as keen! This and The Martian are both on my TBR list.

Matthew Alexis wrote: "Thanks for the review Matthew, it does differ to some others I have read who weren't as keen! This and The Martian are both on my TBR list."

I hope when you give them a go you are on the keen side of things!

message 25: by Alexis (new) - added it

Alexis Matthew wrote: "Alexis wrote: "Thanks for the review Matthew, it does differ to some others I have read who weren't as keen! This and The Martian are both on my TBR list."

I hope when you give them a go you are o..."

Thanks, me too! I like to think I usually am, ha ha!

Ethan I really liked this one too. I haven"t read The Martian, so I didn't have any expectations going into it.

Ashley Montulli great review, great points.

Matthew Ethan wrote: "I really liked this one too. I haven"t read The Martian, so I didn't have any expectations going into it."

That is probably the best way to do this one . . . before The Martian!

Matthew Ashley wrote: "great review, great points."

Ashley Montulli I think I fell into the Martian Expectations category. It wasn't fair of me really :-)

Matthew wrote: "Ashley wrote: "great review, great points."

Thanks, Ashley - I see you gave it 2 stars - sorry it did not work so well for you."

Danielle Tremblay Excellent review.

message 32: by Eric (new) - rated it 1 star

Eric McElyea If this book has a "fairly complex espionage/political intrigue element" to it, then the Goosebumps books have "sophisticated psychological terror elements" to them. The writing in this book is probably around a 4th grade level. It is a straight up rush job cash grab latching onto the success of the martian.

Matthew Eric wrote: "If this book has a "fairly complex espionage/political intrigue element" to it, then the Goosebumps books have "sophisticated psychological terror elements" to them. The writing in this book is pro..."

Ah, sounds like you did not agree with my assessment. I am sorry that you did not enjoy it - I hope your next read is much better.

I never read the Goosebumps books, but I sold a lot of them when I worked at a bookstore. Perhaps I should give them a try! 😉

message 34: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Clemence Matthew, glad you gave this one a shot despite the negative reviews! You review was great- thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Mandy Totally agree

Matthew Erin wrote: "Matthew, glad you gave this one a shot despite the negative reviews! You review was great- thanks for sharing your thoughts!"

Thanks Erin! I appreciate it!

Matthew Mandy wrote: "Totally agree"

Great minds! 😉

Karen’s Library I agree with you 100%! I knew it wasn't The Martian going in. Mostly because nothing will ever come close to the experience I had while reading The Martian, one of my favorite favorite books! But Weir did great at staying within his style and giving us another fun read.

Danielle Tremblay Eric wrote: "If this book has a "fairly complex espionage/political intrigue element" to it, then the Goosebumps books have "sophisticated psychological terror elements" to them. The writing in this book is pro..."

I agree.

Matthew Danielle wrote: "Eric wrote: "If this book has a "fairly complex espionage/political intrigue element" to it, then the Goosebumps books have "sophisticated psychological terror elements" to them. The writing in thi..."

Interesting - I see you enjoyed it, but you felt the writing was a bit amateurish? I can possibly see that angle, but it was not enough to distract me. However, I enjoy mixing more basic writing styles in to give me a break from complex books, so perhaps it doesn't bug me as much as others.

However, I guess I don't see it as much rushed (to cash in) or lazy as some others seem to think.

message 41: by Philip (new) - added it

Philip Did you listen to the audio version or read the book? I want to listen to it but I sometimes struggle with women narrators.

Matthew Philip wrote: "Did you listen to the audio version or read the book? I want to listen to it but I sometimes struggle with women narrators."

This one I read on my kindle. I didn't see who narrated it but I do have a habit of checking now to see if I am familiar with them.

Alissa Don’t know how to tag people from the app but saw the question pop up on my feed. I listened to the book and did enjoy it. Rosario Dawson narrated it - she did a good job although some of her accents I found were a bit off. Overall, it didn’t take away from the story. I would recommend the audio

Matthew Alissa wrote: "Don’t know how to tag people from the app but saw the question pop up on my feed. I listened to the book and did enjoy it. Rosario Dawson narrated it - she did a good job although some of her accen..."

Oh, Rosario Dawson! I didn't know she did this audiobook, but I do like her when I have seen her in movies. Good to know!

message 45: by Karen (new) - rated it 1 star

Karen Finch I gave it a 1 star DNF. It just didn’t capture my interest. I’ve heard from others that it picks up after the caper starts, but didn’t care enough to pick the book back up. There’s too many other books begging to be read. Sci-fi isn’t my genre, though, which could in part explain my opinion.

I’m glad you liked it! Looking forward to further reviews.

Matthew Karen wrote: "I gave it a 1 star DNF. It just didn’t capture my interest. I’ve heard from others that it picks up after the caper starts, but didn’t care enough to pick the book back up. There’s too many other b..."

Thanks, Karen! This is one that I can tell is not for everyone. But it seems like those who connect to it, really enjoy it.

Barbara LeMere Matthew, I agree with your review. I liked it way more than some people did. I think they had a problem with the language and as you say it's not The Martian. Jazz has a wicked but sometimes jeuvenile sense of humor but she also lives on a planet that is populated by and large by men. Men who do a lot of Physical labor jobs and engineering. There are women and some families there but you can't have children in outer space. It causes birth defects. You have to go back to earth. So I think Jazz's vernacular comes mainly from being around guys most of the time. Jazz is a fairly tough girl but she's impatient which gets her into trouble a fair amount of the time. She isn't stupid she's just in a hurry. I'm found the book to be very funny and informative and I totally enjoyed it.

Matthew Barbara wrote: "Matthew, I agree with your review. I liked it way more than some people did. I think they had a problem with the language and as you say it's not The Martian. Jazz has a wicked but sometimes jeuven..."

Thanks for sharing - I am glad that you enjoyed it, too!