mica's Reviews > Wild Beauty

Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore

I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I JUST KEEP READING AMAZING BOOKS I'VE BEEN BLESSED.

So, heads up, I'm latina, I was brought up reading magical realism. It was the first and last genre I learned at school. I read 100 years of solitude when I was 12 because I wanted to (and that's 500 pages of an adult novel). So by the time I was a teenager I wanted magical realism far away from me. I enjoyed it, but I felt like I've had enough.

AND THEN. OH AN THEN THIS BOOK HAPPENED. It's PERFECT. I love everything about this and the author is latina herself so YAY! (I have my reservations for non latinos writing magical realism).

If you're new to the genre I advise you go in with an open mind, it can be tricky to get into the novel but once you do YOU'LL LOVE IT I promise! The characters are well rounded, the plot is so intriguing, it has bi rep (I'm not bi but here's an own voices review: here), AAAAND the writing is beautiful. BEAUTIFUL I TELL YOU. Here's my favorite quote so YOU CAN SEE:

“Even in it’s first faint traces, love could alter a landscape. It wrote unimagined stories and made the most beautiful, forbidding places. Love grew such strange things.”

I'm so glad I got to read this one so early, Wild Beauty just made me happy, you know? Go read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Beauty.

August 18, 2017 – Started Reading
August 18, 2017 – Shelved
August 21, 2017 –
21.0% "so it was confusing at first but now i'm intrigued and the writing feels like candy"
August 23, 2017 –