Charles Canon's Reviews > Single, Gay, Christian: A Personal Journey of Faith and Sexual Identity

Single, Gay, Christian by Greg Coles

Read 2 times. Last read August 18, 2017.

Let me tell you a story about Greg Coles. I was rehearsing Hamlet's famous soliloquy in the library for Oral interpretation class at our College. Greg heard me and joined along and we completed the entire thing. I had the words printed out in front of me, Greg did not and yet he was far more articulate and continued even after I had stumbled over the words and decided to let him finish the final phrases by himself. I tell you this as a brief view into the mind, personality and character of Greg Coles. He was smarter than nearly everyone, more talented than nearly everyone and yet he was the most humble and unassuming individual that I knew. It is with that lens that I have read this book "Single, Gay Christian: A Personal Journey of Faith and Sexual Identity" and I would encourage you to read this book with an open mind as well.
In this book Greg explains the unicorn that he is as a Single, Gay Christian. Not fully accepted by a Christian community that is still struggling with the issue of homosexuality and also not accepted by the LGBTQ community who may consider his choice of celibacy as a form of self-hatred or punishment. If there was ever an person filled with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (the fruit of the Spirit) in order to carry the torch for this new understanding of how homosexuality and Christianity can co-exist, it would be Greg Coles.
Personally, I read this book in one night. I could not put it down. Greg is an excellent writer and enthralls you into his life story. Beyond that he encourages you to think about what you truly believe and why you believe it.
A beloved professor at our institution would always ask a question to stimulate the students and encourage discussion. "So what?" After reading this book I asked myself this question as well. I encourage you to ask this question of yourself as you are reading this book as well. For me the "so what" was answered simply by Paul's words in Corinthians "now I know it part; then i shall know fully". I thought I knew fully, "God hates sin, homosexuality is sin....." but then I realized that I do not know fully, I only know in part. This book has reminded me of this simple truth and I thank Greg Coles for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Single, Gay, Christian.

Finished Reading