Bren's Reviews > Magi'i of Cyador

Magi'i of Cyador by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

C 111x148

bookshelves: magic, action, military, politics

Chronologically, this is the first book in the Saga of Recluce. I have read others in the series (earlier in publication order but not story order), but not for a long time, and I think this would be a good place for a new reader to start the series.

This book covers a young man, born a mage, who pursues an unconventional course in a kingdom that values tradition. Many of the characters are hatching plots of various scales, and the resulting intertwined intrigue is engrossing. I also enjoyed the sections where the main character works out new military tactics, and I appreciate the main character's relationships with his family & loved ones.

There are some things I liked less, including the seemingly unrealistic treatment of obvious foul play & missing persons by nearly all the characters. And, while few recurring characters are cardboard, it is sometimes hard to see what motivates them. This is arguably a strength; it's as if the reader's view is a little more external than usual, requiring a bit more imagination. But, by the end of the book (a cliffhanger thinly disguised as a wrap-up), I was still unsure whether some of my guesses about characters' motivations were right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magi'i of Cyador.

August 18, 2017 – Started Reading