Grace (BURTSBOOKS)'s Reviews > They Both Die at the End

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

bookshelves: reviewed, favourites

This book affected me so much more than I ever expected it to. I like to think of myself as a heartless witch or something when it comes to books and movies because it really takes a lot for me to feel something for the media I’m consuming; this book, however, had me crying by the time the first chapter was done. My heart was ripped out by this book and I know I should have seen it coming but my goodness I didn’t expect it and my heart hurts sooooo very much.

They Both Die at the End is about Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio. They live in a world where it is customary to receive a call early in the morning on the day you’re going to die, alerting you that you have less than 24 hours to live. These boys are both dying on the day this book takes place, and it follows them through their last day and shows the development of their relationship as well as them coming to terms with the fact that their lives are over and holy hell this book is so breathtaking. This is my first and only experience with Adam Silvera, and I can say with 100% certainty that he is a new favourite author after reading this.

Apart from the obvious heartwrenching theme of this novel, the concept is super interesting and original and sooooooooo thought-provoking. I’ve been thinking about this books for months. It has captured the feeling of running out of time so perfectly it’s almost impossible to fathom. The whole point of reading, for me, is to put words to all the things that are impossible to phrase and I don’t always get that when I’m reading but this book does it!!! So well.

I HAVE NEVER RELATED TO A CHARACTER MORE THAN I DO TO MATEO. His feelings of anxiety and inadequacy and his fears of missing out are so immensely relatable to me I felt like Adam Silvera took a trip right to the parts of my brain I always try to hide. Mateo telling himself, “One day. One day I will be someone better,” and the whole realization that his one day isn’ t going to come is both an insane wake up call and the most authentic portrayal of anxiety I have ever consumed. I felt so overexposed and raw and related to while reading this I could barely handle it.

Also, while the majority of Mateo’s arc involves him overcoming his anxieties, realistically they never go away, he only learns to ignore them better and live through the anxiety and to me, someone who has struggled to look for accurate rep for ages, that is just astonishingly wonderful.

The themes of wasted opportunity and time and “could've been's” and death left me reeling for days. This book profoundly affected me and (view spoiler) I’ve been thinking about it for months.

Yes, I have my complaints. The middle was a little slow. The romance wasn’t 100% percent necessary(the more I think about it though, the more I see that romance was exactly what both of them needed at that moment but also no one ever needs romance, so I’m torn) and the slang used in Rufus’ chapters sort of got on my nerves(it wasn’t that bad, but still it sometimes took me out of the story). But, do my petty, meaningless complaints really matter when the actual story of this novel wiped the floor with my blood, sweat and tears. I don’t think so.

This review might have made no sense, it may have been repetitive and overdramatic and just an overall mess but I really can’t bring myself to fix it because there is just something about the thought of a life cut so short, about a life that has so much potential being taken, that makes me disappear into a puddle of tears, and I can't even imagine writing anything coherent about this book, so yeah. Adam Silvera is so talented and smart, and GOD DAMN RUDE for making me feel this way, and I’m just gonna go now and read every single book he has published and then proceed to cry some more and wait for more of his work to be released.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Both Die at the End.

Quotes Grace Liked

Adam Silvera
“Maybe it's better to have gotten it right and been happy for one day instead of living a lifetime of wrongs.”
Adam Silvera, They Both Die at the End

page 322
October 13, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 15, 2018 – Shelved as: reviewed
May 23, 2018 – Shelved as: favourites

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread Wonderful review Grace! Such a great feeling when you find a book that pulls such emotion from you!

Grace (BURTSBOOKS) Luvtoread wrote: "Wonderful review Grace! Such a great feeling when you find a book that pulls such emotion from you!"

It was crazy. I have been forever changed by this book

Suzi Evelyn This review is everything!! Lawsuit for ripping the thoughts from my mind and writing them down ten times more eloquently

Grace (BURTSBOOKS) @suzi Evelyn OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH this book hurt me soooooo bad