Arkajit Dey's Reviews > The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change

The Manager's Path by Camille Fournier

If I could give this book 6 stars, I would. I rarely buy books, but I bought this one and am glad I did. The book is structured very well, following the career path of a technical employee from being an individual engineer all the way to the upper levels of senior technical management. I found it useful in understanding what the the management job is like at various stages of a typical career and what makes a good manager at each level — the answer, as you might expect, varies and changes with each step.

The book distinguishes itself from other general management books in focusing specifically on the roles of engineering management, of how to combine the technical skills required in these roles with the general-purpose people management skills required to manage in any industry. As such it includes certain roles that I hadn’t considered to be management roles at all, such as being an intern mentor or a tech lead for an engineering team. After all, these roles don’t usually have people reporting into them, so they aren’t really management at all, are they? Camille makes a compelling argument to consider these roles as part of the menu of potential management responsibilities. They entail some version of the same skill sets — e.g. project management, coaching and mentoring, and technical communication — that are required of you at later levels of the management career track.

I’d recommend this book to anyone who works in technology, even if they don’t see themselves as being “managers” or want to be managers. After all, you almost certainly have a manager or work with managers. It’s useful to be able to role play in your mind what other people you work with are thinking or trying to accomplish.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Manager's Path.

August 12, 2017 – Started Reading