Jessie Seymour's Reviews > Breaking the Rules of Revenge

Breaking the Rules of Revenge by Samantha Bohrman

bookshelves: arcs, net-galley

***I received an ARC through Netgalley in Exchange for an Honest Review***

I gave this book 4 stars. It was fun and diabolical, I loved every moment of it. I'm a sucker for anything with revenge and fake personas. There's always the reveal moment to look forward to. While it is a bit predictable, it doesn't lessen my enjoyment at all. And as of now I am officially back on a contemporary kick.

I loved how Mallory's book lined up with her real life and how she would compare real life events to events in her book. I found it funny because that''s a lot like how I think and do things. She was a very relatable character that I couldn't hate or even dislike. She's a very shy and quiet girl, she never gets into trouble or is even noticed most of the time, all because her sister is a bit oppressive. I know there's more to it than that, but a large part is because of her sister, and considering we meet said sister, it's understandable.

When this book first started out I was a bit worried about the third person. I'm not the biggest fan of third person unless it's a fantasy novel. I feel like I connect to the characters better if it's in first person, I sometimes get the feeling that I'm not getting all of them, someone else is telling me how the protagonist is feeling, they aren't telling me their thoughts and feelings themselves. Anyway, I didn't mind it too much while reading this book, the author did a great job of conveying the thoughts and feelings that I needed to know without a wall building up between me and the characters.

Ben, where to start with Ben. What I love about Ben is he is genuinely a nice guy, he didn't try to mess with "Blake" until after she had spent an entire year doing terrible things to him. Which is why I understand why he needed to get revenge. I wish we had gotten a bit more information about his Native American side. I know it's because he didn't know much about it himself, but it still would have been nice to get more about it.

Mallory and Ben have such great chemistry, they get along so well. Every moment of them together had me on the edge of my seat. I just wanted them to kiss the whole time. It became a sort of chant in my mind.

Mallory went through so much character development throughout this book and it was good to see. Her character development wasn't centered around a man. I mean there was a man amidst the chaos, but she figured out where she belonged on her own.

Overall, another cute contemporary romance. If you like cute contemporary romances then this is definitely for you. If you prefer things a little more hard core, then I wouldn't really suggest this one for you, this one is fluff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking the Rules of Revenge.

August 17, 2017 – Started Reading