Amanda Tero's Reviews > Creating Character Arcs: The Masterful Author's Guide to Uniting Story Structure, Plot, and Character Development

Creating Character Arcs by K.M. Weiland

Aug 17, 2017

After hearing about K.M. Weiland's books and reading portions of her blog for a while, I've finally read one of her books on writing!

First off, I appreciate how CLEAN this book is as far as content. Many writers dive into vulgar or morally corrupt examples. While Weiland used some examples from movies or books I'd personally not watch/read, she was tactful in the information that she shared (like, "FINALLY, a writing book I can hand to my younger sisters!")

Now, for content. I haven't read many books about character structure, so there were many things that I now have to think about when creating characters. While I had known about character arcs, Weiland gives an understandable overview of how they work--Positive Arcs, Flat Arcs, and Negative Arcs--and gives plenty of examples from various books and movies.

It took me about ten chapters to get into this book. Perhaps it was because I hadn't read any of Weiland's other books. In some ways, it seemed like she has her own "code" for writing (for example, all of the capitalized words: Truth, Lie, Thing He Wants, First Plot Point--which, just for me personally, cluttered the reading space and distracted me). It took me a while to get used to that and to figure out exactly what she meant by all of them (many were things I knew of, I just didn't know how she was using them). Once I got used to that, it was better. So I'm not sure if that's just me and maybe my brain doesn't work like Weiland's.

Overall, there were helpful things in this book and I'll probably go back to it for specific sections.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creating Character Arcs.

Started Reading