Larry H's Reviews > Artemis

Artemis by Andy Weir

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley

I'm between 3 and 3.5 stars here.

Although it has been a few years since Andy Weir published The Martian , he hasn't been missing from the literary world, thanks to his sharing a number of free super-short stories with the reading public. ( Annie's Day remains my favorite of the bunch.) Even so, I was anxious for him to come out with a new novel.

Artemis is the first city on the moon. While wealthy tourists get to experience the city's luxuries, for the ordinary citizens living there, it's almost like any other city—the struggles between the haves and have-nots, corruption, violence, crime, the usual. (Almost like any other city except for the gravity, and the fact that everything is encased in bubble-type structures to keep the extreme radiation and space dust out.)

Jazz Bashara is a low-level porter on Artemis. She longs for a better life but doesn't have the motivation to do anything more than what she does, even though she has the brains and the talent for much more. Instead, she ekes out a living as a criminal, smuggling in contraband from Earth for anyone willing to pay her. She doesn't care that it's wrong; in fact, she's more than a little proud to be gaming the system.

One day, one of Jazz's wealthy regular customers offers her a part in a scheme that seems almost too good to be true, but her part of the spoils would be enough to give her the type of life she has always dreamed of. Of course, what seems too good to be true usually is, and it isn't long before Jazz realizes she's in the middle of something much bigger than a get-rich-quick scheme—there's corruption, and people are willing to go to any lengths to protect what they believe is theirs. Jazz is going to need more than just her street smarts if she's going to survive this.

Jazz is a pretty fascinating character. She's pretty tough, smart, wily, and not embarrassed about her sexuality or her general laziness. She knows she could achieve more, but for the most part, she isn't motivated to do so through legal channels. I love the fact that Weir created a multi-cultural cast of characters without batting an eye—Jazz is a Saudi Arabian Muslim (albeit non-practicing), and there are characters from different races, religions, cultures, and sexual orientations that don't adhere to stereotypes.

Until I read Artemis , I somehow forgot how science-heavy The Martian was. But while all that science seemed to work in The Martian it seemed to weigh this book down a bit. (And no, it wasn't the gravity.) Weir has created quite a world, and certainly the descriptions helped paint the scene, but I felt at times the lengthy scientific diatribes pulled the plot off course.

The other thing that frustrated me about the book is the fact that Jazz speaks and thinks like a teenage boy. Even though you're rooting for her, after a while her lack of maturity started to grate on me.

Those criticisms notwithstanding, Weir knows how to tell a story. Even though I thought the caper (and that's the best word to describe the scheme Jazz finds herself in) was a little silly, I couldn't stop reading Artemis . It's a fun and interesting book, and you have to wonder how close to reality Weir's vision of life on the moon will come, if it ever becomes a reality.

NetGalley and Crown Publishing provided me an advance copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review. Thanks for making this available!

See all of my reviews at http://itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blo....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis.

August 16, 2017 – Started Reading
August 17, 2017 – Shelved
August 17, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 18, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat) Great review, Larry! I loved The Martian and can't wait to read this!

Sharon Great review Larry! Somewhat deflated by the 3 stars, but I still can't wait to read it!

Stacey Camp Great review, and I had pretty much the same reading experience with Artemis as you.

message 4: by debra (new)

debra Nice review, Larry . I've read a few "meh" reviews of this. Going to take it off my TBR-if I can figure out how to do that : )

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Great review, Larry. I might skip this one. I enjoyed The Martian but this doesn't sound nearly as good.

message 6: by September (new)

September Williams Again. The kind of review that is a deal breaker for whether or not I will use my tiny bits of time to read a particular book.

message 7: by Esil (new)

Esil Great review, Larry. This one is definitely not for me.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Insightful review Larry! I felt as though the science The Martian was written in a very approachable way, but it sounds like this is edging more toward the hard science fiction genre (which nearly always doesn't work for me) so I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Cheri Terrific review, Larry. I have this to read in the semi-near future, so I'm a bit disheartened to see your 3 stars, I loved The Martian! Really appreciated reading your thoughts on this!

message 10: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie Three cheers for another wonderful review, Larry! I agree that Weir does know how to tell a story. I thoroughly enjoyed The Martian and it sounds like this one is great too. Thanks for letting us know, I'll be sure to get this one.

message 11: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Strong Great review Larry! Sorry you didn't love this one!

Larry H Nicole wrote: "Great review, Larry! I loved The Martian and can't wait to read this!"

Thanks, Nicole! I hope you enjoy it!!

Larry H Sharon wrote: "Great review Larry! Somewhat deflated by the 3 stars, but I still can't wait to read it!"

Thanks, Sharon! Like I said, Jazz's character grated on me a bit, and I got a little "scienced out," but it was still good. Hope you enjoy!!

Larry H Stacey wrote: "Great review, and I had pretty much the same reading experience with Artemis as you."

Thanks, Stacey! Always good to not be the outlier! :)

Larry H debra wrote: "Nice review, Larry . I've read a few "meh" reviews of this. Going to take it off my TBR-if I can figure out how to do that : )"

Thanks, debra! Yeah, I think it was slightly better than "meh" but there are so many books out there!

Larry H Jennifer wrote: "Great review, Larry. I might skip this one. I enjoyed The Martian but this doesn't sound nearly as good."

Thanks, Jennifer! Yeah, I didn't think this was as good as The Martian. I've seen some really positive reviews from others, but I just thought it was okay.

Larry H September wrote: "Again. The kind of review that is a deal breaker for whether or not I will use my tiny bits of time to read a particular book."

Thanks, September!!

Larry H Esil wrote: "Great review, Larry. This one is definitely not for me."

Thanks, Esil! IMHO, you're not missing that much.

Larry H Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Insightful review Larry! I felt as though the science The Martian was written in a very approachable way, but it sounds like this is edging more toward the hard science fiction genre (which nearly ..."

Thanks, Mary! You know, I probably could have dealt with all the science if the main character was a little more appealing, but the combination of the two wore on me. I hope you enjoy it more than I did!!

Larry H Cheri wrote: "Terrific review, Larry. I have this to read in the semi-near future, so I'm a bit disheartened to see your 3 stars, I loved The Martian! Really appreciated reading your thoughts on this!"

Thanks, Cheri! I hope you enjoy it more than I did!!

Larry H Rebbie wrote: "Three cheers for another wonderful review, Larry! I agree that Weir does know how to tell a story. I thoroughly enjoyed The Martian and it sounds like this one is great too. Thanks for letting us k..."

Thanks, Rebbie! There's certainly some fun and well-done things in this one. Hope you enjoy!

Larry H Susanne wrote: "Great review Larry! Sorry you didn't love this one!"

Thanks, Susanne! As much as I wish they all could be great, there has to be some middle-of-the-road books so we can appreciate the amazing ones even more!!

message 23: by Richard (new)

Richard You managed to express even the not-so-great aspects of this book without turning the potential reader off completely.

When you mentioned Jazz, the girl who speaks and thinks like a teenage boy, you made me think about the reality-TV series "I Am Jazz." LOL.

Holly  B Great review Larry...I'll be reading it soon...still sounds good!

Larry H Richard wrote: "You managed to express even the not-so-great aspects of this book without turning the potential reader off completely.

Thanks, Richard! And I'm laughing out loud at your juxtaposition of Jazzes--that would be quite a book! (Jazz Jennings would be one heck of a main character!)

Larry H Holly wrote: "Great review Larry...I'll be reading it soon...still sounds good!"

Thanks, Holly! It is good, I just wanted more. Hope you enjoy it!

message 27: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Not my jam. Thanks for reviewing.

Larry H Kelli wrote: "Not my jam. Thanks for reviewing."

Thanks, Kelli! Happy to help clear your TBR list a little! :)

Cheri Larry, I think my feelings were similar to yours, but from early on this felt more like a YA book to me, and as a YA book I could see where it would hold more appeal, but that made it really difficult to rate, at least for me. I will have to think twice about reading his next one, I suppose, I guess we both will!!

Larry H Cheri wrote: "Larry, I think my feelings were similar to yours, but from early on this felt more like a YA book to me, and as a YA book I could see where it would hold more appeal, but that made it really diffic..."

Yes, I agree, Cheri. I like the way he writes, but I will think twice!!

William Thank you for the review. I must agree with you on many counts. I enjoyed the first half a lot, and then the dialogue descends into saccharine silly. I did love the science and world-building

Larry H William wrote: "Thank you for the review. I must agree with you on many counts. I enjoyed the first half a lot, and then the dialogue descends into saccharine silly. I did love the science and world-building"

I totally agree with you, William!! That's what I love most about Weir's books.