Robert's Reviews > The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable

The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Apr 25, 2008

bookshelves: business
Read in March, 2009

This certainly is not a book I would recommend ad bed time reading as it as it can be a tough read at times. Another negative is the fact the author certainly rants a lot about the problems of existing statistical analysis. Given that this is indeed the crux of the book it become a little repeatitive constantly throughout the book.

That said this book has sound really mind blowing comcepts that will challenge the way you think about probablities and how we have be lulled into the feeling that we can understand teh future if we look at the trends of the past. We have become fooled by averages and the idea or normal (or Guassian) distributions, when in fact the world as we know is nothing like this.

It is clear that Nassim is unqiue individual in his practical approach to understanding the randomness of this world I certainly recommend this a book to read if you want to have you existing concepts challenged but be warned it can be hard going and repeatitive at times but in the end well worth the read.

If you are open to the challenge of looking at things completely differently then read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Swan.

05/17/2016 marked as: read