Pamela Huxtable's Reviews > The Good School: How Smart Parents Get Their Kids the Education They Deserve

The Good School by Peg Tyre

Sep 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from September 26 to 27, 2011

I skimmed the section on preschool, since we are past that in this family...

This book doesn 't break any new ground, but here are some good takeaways for me:

Care about your school's test scores, but don 't go crazy. We know that's true. We chose not to send our oldest to our feeder pattern school because of the test results from that school(among other reasons). After he was accepted to the gifted program, which is housed in our feeder pattern school, we realized that we were being shortsighted. Even though the test results were below norm, the principal of the school worked very hard to employ the very best teachers around, and instituted many programs to improve learning. As our other sons have entered school, we didn't even consider another school - we knew that the best teachers around were at our local school.

I'm also feeling really good about our school district's decision to switch to the Singapore math curriculum. But I am also feeling confident that supplementing our kids' math education with Kumon drilling is a very good idea.

Good to read, but keep your perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good School.