Bettie's Reviews > The Prince

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

bookshelves: philosophy, nonfiction, re-visit-2013, spring-2013, re-visit-2017, winter-20162017, anarchy, author-in-the-mirror, awful-offal, back-to-basics, bellybutton-mining, betrayal, boo-scary, casual-violence, claustrophobic, colonial-overlords, corruption, cruelty-disguised-as-law, cults-societies-brotherhoods, decline-disintergration-degradation, dodgy-narrator, doo-lally, emperor-s-new-clothes, essays, execution, flippancy, future-has-ancient-heart, games-people-play, gangsters, gruelling, gulp, how-the-mighty-fall, how-to, italy-florence, lifestyles-deathstyles, machiavellian, medieval-mentality, misanthropic, misery-on-a-stick, oneupmanship, ouch, paper-read, politics, precedent1, propaganda, revenge, room-101, sleazy, slit-yer-wrists-gloomy, society, survival, torture, totalitarian, translation, tricksy, twats-in-real-life, utter-dreck, wrong-so-wrong

JANUARY 2017: One aspect of this how-to manual deals with doing a whole lot of infamous things at the same time to keep adversaries/complainants on the back foot, and this really does seem to be the MO over the pond at this moment. A revisit via youtube animation

This book, and its agéd source, 'The Art of War', are in his top ten of books. I didn't see in either book the part where the prince falls out off his fucking head trying to achieve all the sociopathic manouvering alluded to.

Unrated.

------------------------------------

1: 4 Extra Debut. The Florentine philosopher's tour-de-force, introduced by the BBC's political editor Nick Robinson and read by Peter Firth.
2: Is it better to be loved or feared? Renaissance political insights introduced by Nick Robinson and read by Peter Firth.
3: In times of peace, make preparations for war.
4: Using 'good' cruelty and bad to gain power
5: Choosing advisors, not flatterers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince.

January 1, 2006 – Started Reading
April 25, 2008 – Shelved
January 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

message 1: by Bettie (new) - added it

Bettie Thanks Wanda!
:O)

message 2: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I am glad that Trump claims he is NOIT a reader!

message 3: by Bettie (new) - added it

Bettie Manybooks wrote: "I am glad that Trump claims he is NOIT a reader!"

So who do you think compiled his 10 best books?

message 4: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Bettie☯ wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "I am glad that Trump claims he is NOIT a reader!"

So who do you think compiled his 10 best books?"

Not him, but a ghost writer? I am being a bit facetious but he has been pretty proud of the fact that he does not tend to read all that much.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Only an ignoramus would be proud that he doesn't read. Where did they find this guy? Still boggles my mind.

message 6: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Laura wrote: "Only an ignoramus would be proud that he doesn't read. Where did they find this guy? Still boggles my mind."

It equally boggles my mind that ANYONE actually voted for him.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Yes. Agree completely. Very obvious, or should have been, that he is not bright and also unhinged. Bad combination.

message 8: by Bettie (last edited Jan 26, 2017 03:13PM) (new) - added it

Bettie riight - I see what you mean. Yet his way of dealing with things really does come from a Machiavellian personality *shudder*.

message 9: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Laura wrote: "Yes. Agree completely. Very obvious, or should have been, that he is not bright and also unhinged. Bad combination."

But that so many actually voted for him shows that unfortunately many Americans are equally bad combination.

message 10: by Bettie (new) - added it

Bettie US-esque democracy does need an overhaul from top down - it needs to become a democracy for one thing, polls and pay-for-play should not be in the equation. I see that there is to be more gerrymandering rather than booting out the electorial college.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Good point.

Plus, many were willing to believe fake news slamming Hillary and to disbelieve his actual words and for example, the Access Hollywood tape. The actual facts, bald-faced! Which I still think is amazing.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura Bettie, you're right, the system itself is broken.

message 13: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks What both the USA and Canada needs is so called proportional representation, namely that the party who who wins the popular vote, wins and according to percentages. Also, the president has way way too much peesonal (almost monarchial) power.

message 14: by Bettie (last edited Jan 26, 2017 03:32PM) (new) - added it

Bettie My personal beef is that he has thrown Europe under the bus - do you think he would move to protect should the bear start sauntering in balaclavas and jack-boots over the borders? Nah, of course not, they have joint hopes of raping the arctic.

message 16: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Bettie☯ wrote: "My personal beef is that he has thrown Europe under the bus - do you think he would move to protect should the bear start sauntering in balaclavas and jack-boots over the borders? Nah, of course no..."

Putin/Trump pact, but maybe they will kill each other off but I think that is wishful thinking.

message 17: by Bettie (new) - added it

Bettie Putin/Trump pact, but maybe they will kill each other off

We had better start learning chinese

message 18: by Manybooks (last edited Jan 26, 2017 03:52PM) (new)

Manybooks Bettie☯ wrote: "Putin/Trump pact, but maybe they will kill each other off

We had better start learning chinese"

Sigh, the world is just like a pie ...

message 19: by Bettie (last edited Jan 26, 2017 04:46PM) (new) - added it

Bettie
UK has also just chucked Europe under the bus, how pragmatic, how Ayn Rand-ish, ugh:

It is in our interests – those of Britain and America together – to stand strong together to defend our values, our interests and the very ideas in which we believe. This cannot mean a return to the failed policies of the past. The days of Britain and America intervening in sovereign countries in an attempt to remake the world in our own image are over.

message 20: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala I just watched the animation, Bettie - couldn't believe it could be so on target!
And I watched the May sperch last night - and couldnt believe it could be so - yes, Ayn Randish!

message 21: by Bettie (new) - added it

Bettie T'would be karma indeed if an impeachment and a u-turn on Europe. Heh - how much dirt would these two have to eat. That is all that would need to happen to bring us back from the two minutes to midnight on the doomsday clock.

message 22: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala Fortune is not on our side though - the man is always too lucky and the woman is not for turning

message 23: by Bettie (new) - added it

Bettie But I do have faith in the populations of both countries to turn things around, it is not over yet...

message 24: by Bettie (last edited Jan 27, 2017 01:17PM) (new) - added it

Bettie Let's give it up loudly for Laura Kuenssberg

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Link to "see review" doesn't work, btw.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Part of the problem here in the US is that a great many people don't vote. Turnout percentage this last November was about 55%. Which is in the normal range.