C.G. Drews's Reviews > Teeth

Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

bookshelves: 5-star, magical-fantasy, read-2017, paranormal, ya-male-narrators, young-adult

This is about gay magical fish and that's basically all the reason you need to read it. WAIT. One more reason: I AM A DEAD MAGICAL MESS RIGHT NOW. The ocean and I are currently twins because of the fact we are damp puddles. I cannnnn't even omg. I mean. I wanted my cold dead heart to melt. So that happened.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START???? Except this is the mermaid book I've always wanted. Well, he's technically a fish. Fishboy. But he still has a fin so it's mermaid appreciation.

The setting was so absolutely vivid. Cold and damp and barren island were they fish and people go to try and get better even though they're dying. Because eating these special fish can cure you. Apparently. (Also fyi I hate fish so bad I would probably just die.) And I felt there. The detail is sparse but so very vivid.

And the writing is just so raw?!? The entire story is super brutal and dark and bloody and full of tears and fishhooks that are going to rip out your heart. MY HEART IS RIPPED.

I absolutely fell in love with Teeth and Rudy. Rudy is watching is little brother die and he's super lonely and also doesn't like the person he was. (I take it he was a player/jock back at school?) But he feels like he's turning into nothingness on the island. He's such a precious thing. He's not always nice and his thoughts are sad and depressed and messy. And Teeth? Teeth is SO TOTALLY SCREWED. He is the most smol most precious cinnamon fish son I have ever read. He's absolutely psychologically abusing himself. Because the fisherman of the island abuse him (REALLY BADLY) constantly and he basically lets them to feed his tortured-hero complex. He's so naive and sweet and super cruel sometimes. So. I love him. It freaking breaks my heart. He's abandoned and a monster and unloved and he just wants to be hELD and tOUCHED and TEEEEEEEETH. DON'T. DO. THIS. Least to say their relationship was complex and unfinished. I think they loved each other, in a deep dying way, but I do wish the book had just...it's hard to say without spoilers. GAH. (view spoiler)

Basically, if you are looking for a story of darkness and magic and small miracles and tears and breaking: read it. Please. It's ridiculously underrated. It gets ALL THE STARS from me because I've been mortally wounded. It's a beautiful and tragic book and it feels so real. Also pls may I protect Fishboy forever. pls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teeth.

August 16, 2017 – Started Reading
August 16, 2017 – Shelved
August 16, 2017 –
page 91
31.6% "I am so here for smol angry fish boys who are very sarcastic and bitter but secretly want to learn to read and pet human boys who save their lives."
August 16, 2017 –
page 197
68.4% "This book's #1 goal in life is to BREAK MY HEART."
August 17, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
August 17, 2017 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
August 17, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
August 17, 2017 – Shelved as: paranormal
August 17, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
August 17, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

FISH BOYS

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

i need this

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

great review <3

message 4: by aru (new) - rated it 5 stars

aru I was a puddle of crying mess when I finished this last year. The whole book is a crying weeping mess. I'm glad you love this too

C.G. Drews I LOVED IT SO MUCH BUT I HURT.

message 6: by Tyler J (new) - added it

Tyler J Gray I read Not Otherwise Specified by Hannah Moskowitz and loved it soo much that I got some more of her books, including this one, awhile ago and I still haven't read it T.T I am a bad egg. I neeeeed to read this one. I have it, I have no excuse. *prepares to cry*

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ THIS BOOK BROKE ME OMG

message 8: by CR (new) - rated it 4 stars

CR Daylex I really want to read this one! I read one of the author's shorter works and didn't love it, but sometimes people are good at one or the other with work types.

C.G. Drews @Stephanie: I officially want to read ALL HER BOOKS NOW. *heart eyes*

@Alienor: I'M NEVER GOING TO BE OK. I'M CRYING.

@CR: I need to read more by her for sure now!!

message 10: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah This is one of my favorites.

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Leah: *STILL SOBBING 12HRS LATER*

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ Gay magical fish? I'm in!

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Stella: YAS.

message 14: by Elle (new) - added it

Elle (ellexamines) honestly Cait I'm here for gay fish and for your five star review 😄

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Elise: GOOD. :D

message 16: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Maule Immediately added to my TBR!

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Lou Omg I just read this because I knew you loved it and OMG. WHAT. THESE ARE NOT TEARS MY EYES ARE JUST SWEATING. I NEEDED A KISS TOO. *bawls eyes out* *blows nose loudly* *continues to sob*

message 18: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Amy: *CRIES WITH YOU*

message 19: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Lou THANKS. IM BUSY TRYING TO CONVINCE MY BEST FRIEND TO READ IT

Brooke This is pretty much exactly how I feel about this book too.