Andrea's Reviews > Magic Triumphs

Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, shape-shifters, m-f-romance

This is actually one of my favorites series. I'm usually not a fan of long series, I prefer standalones and if you give me a series I'd prefer no more than 4 books honestly. Of course, there are exceptions and this is one of them.

I first read this series way back in 2013. I think the first 6 books were available and then I would keep up with new releases. For some reason, I don't remember why,  I never picked up the last one. I think it's because I wanted to do a whole reread, but who has the time? Well, I had the time. Yes, I didn't get to it until two years after the last book was published. But this Thanksgiving week, I sat down and reread all 9 books so I could finally read the very last one. It's a bittersweet moment, these characters have been with me for so long and I'm really sad to see them go.

I'll admit, plot wise this wasn't my favorite, books 3-7 remain superior. However this book was a long time in the making. We've had 10 books of Kate sacrificing and fighting, losing and winning, I needed her to have her happy ending. I needed to see her at peace because she really deserves it. Kate Daniels is a supreme badass and I want to be her when I grow up.

This epic conclusion brings in all our beloved characters for one last battle for Atlanta. The last 10-20% was just awful. I was stressed out to the max. I needed everyone to be okay. There so many characters that own my heart: Derek, Julie, Andrea, Raphael. I loved seeing them all again. There were some full circle moments which were a blast, we also see some old characters which was fun.

Since this is book 10, I can't say much without spoiling the entire series, so I'll just tell you to give this series a shot. Book 1 was very introductory., I can admit it's not the most exciting. This book was to slowly learn about Kate and the world she lives in. Book 2 is fabulous, it's a lot more entertaining and action-packed, with some heartbreak in there. Book 3 is when shit hits the fan and I swore to forever be a Kate Daniels stan. It remains one of my favorites of the series.

I'm about to go full research mode and see if there have been any spin-offs about these characters in the last two years, or if there are plans because I need it. Hopefully it's Julie and Derek.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Triumphs.

August 16, 2017 – Shelved