Nessa's Reviews > My Hellion, My Heart

My Hellion, My Heart by Amalie Howard

Aug 18, 2017

THIS STORY HAD IT ALL - ATTRACTION, TENSION, CHEMISTRY & A HINT OF DANGER!
I can't even begin to explain to you what a page turner this was. I am not a fan of insta-love that borders on the 'unrealistic' side. That just makes a boring story to read. This one had the right amount of push-pull, the ANGST was good and it certainly kept me on my toes the entire way to read WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT. It's like a virtual chess of love, who's going to make the next move, and who's going to win?

OUR HERO is a tortured man still haunted by the demons that plagues him ever since his 8 month long imprisonment by the French. He certainly didn't come out unscathed, and I'm no meanie but heroes like this make the most intriguing characters to read about. Because THEY ARE NOT EASY, and that challenge itself makes them irresistible. That one time he met the Princess, their attraction was instant but not the cheap kind. This one was visceral, hot, intense and real. But, she was his mother's ward so he automatically crosses her off his list. I believe that he already started loving her ever since because if he didn't, he wouldn't have rejected her suit so VEHEMENTLY and chose another docile woman to wed. THAT IN ITSELF SPEAKS VOLUME ABOUT HIS FEELINGS. His reason borders on the usual excuses given by tortured heroes - that he will hurt the woman they love caused by their PTSD reactions, especially in sleep. I like Henry's character, because he's the strong, dependable and masculine sort that just pulls you into his sphere. A man's man. It was enjoyable to watch him dance around Irina's tune, knowing full well that he can't resist her. The angst between them, was absolutely delicious and I am a connoisseur of that exact feeling. It's the one I feed on when I read stories by my favorite authors.

OUR HEROINE is a delightful woman - one who speaks her mind and goes for what she wants. All her life, ever since rescued from being kidnapped by her uncle's men, she was grateful to Henry and also, she can't help but fall for him. Three seasons later, she's still unwed. The reason? There is no one who measures up to Henry. He has ruined her for all others, thus earning her the title of Ice Princess and London's gaming halls are putting all their bets on winning the lady's favors - IN ALL MANNERS. Of course, this incensed Henry to no end. Irina has a partner in crime, her cousin twice removed from Russia, Max. Max's character was pretty appalling, judging by how he doesn't discriminate his sexual favors, woman, men, young or old as long as he gets money from them. Despite telling herself repeatedly that this will be the last time, with just a touch from Henry, all thoughts fly out the window and she's back to square one. How on Earth will she convince this stubborn man that they belong together? That she understands the horrors that he has faced as a victim herself?

OVERALL this was an entertaining story that didn't bore me halfway. I read it till the end, enjoying the drawn out angst and sexual tension between the characters, seeing their relationship blossoming and becoming more complex. It truly wasn't shallow loving, and that's the important thing. As for the antagonist, it's pretty easy to pinpoint who it was and I will not spoil it for you. Now, I'm off to read BOOK 1 and 2. These two author tag-team really convinced me to read about their other characters who were equally complex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Hellion, My Heart.

Finished Reading