All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Tempest Unleashed

Sep 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

When the temperature rises, it’s time to break out the beach books and soak up a few summertime supernatural stories. For me that always means mermaids (of the three new mermaid titles I’ve read this summer, OF POSEIDON by Anna Banks gets my pick for best). In TEMPEST UNLEASHED, the sequel to 2011′s TEMPEST RISING, author Tracy Deebs sends us back into the sea with seventeen year old Tempest and her newly discovered mermaid heritage.

While TEMPEST RISING balanced the sand and sea nicely, I got a little pruney by book’s end since so much of TEMPEST UNLEASHED took place at the bottom of the ocean. Probably 75% or more. It is interesting to see how mermaid culture and politics differ from our own, but I would have liked to see more of Tempest dealing with her family and the life she abandoned on land instead of butting heads with the Queen and hours long swims traveling from one location to another. Another aspect of this story that dragged for me was the flashbacks to Tempest’s mother. I understand the need to relay this information, but one flashback would have sufficed.

Fair warning to those of you who aren’t fans of love triangles. There is a major one in TEMPEST UNLEASHED and it fuels a good chunk of the story. Personally, I didn’t enjoy Tempest’s indecision and tendency to ‘love’ whichever guy she happened to be with at the time. I didn’t think either guy deserved to be treated the way they were, and it was really hard to respect a heroine who basically cheated (in this case making out) on both guys repeatedly throughout the book.

Criticisms aside, there is a lot of well paced action and some fun and rarely seen mythological creatures to be found here. It’s not as compelling as the debut, but TEMPEST UNLEASHED does pick up nicely from TEMPEST RISING and the ending could easily lead to the planned third book or serve to conclude the series.

Sexual Content:
Kissing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest Unleashed.