Stuart's Reviews > Farm Boy

Farm Boy by Michael Morpurgo

M 50x66
Sep 16, 2011

Read on September 16, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Farm Boy by Michael Morpurgo deserves ten stars out of five but as there are only five stars available that will have to do. In my complete ignorance I only realised when I started the book that it is the sequel to War Horse, but I actually enjoyed it more than War Horse (mainly because Joey wasn’t the narrator).

There are fantastic illustrations from the start, which place you mentally back in time as Grandpa reminiscences about the past, including memories of the first world war and his favourite farm horse, Joey. There are also links to more recent events such as the war in Bosnia in the 1990s too. It is unbelievably well written and the intrigue of Grandpa’s secret will keep you hooked. We then find out what the secret is and the book simply becomes a modern day classic...

...Grandpa can’t read. This is such a useful tool. It highlights the importance of reading and writing (so Grandpa can record his memories for example) while at the same time subtly removing any stigma to not being able to read. It is so well achieved and many children will relate to and be inspired by Grandpa, who has already been built up as a loveable character, as he perseveres to learn. The fact that reading and writing is shown to be such an important form of expression and way to record history will also reinforce the purpose of reading and writing for many.

This is probably a book for confident readers at KS2 and there are obvious cross-curricular links to history lessons. All-in-all this is a superb book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farm Boy.