C.G. Drews's Reviews > Scardust

Scardust by Suzanne van Rooyen

bookshelves: 4-star, adult, mental-illness, read-2017, sci-fi

Do you see that human trying to duct tape their heart back together in the corner? OKAY THAT'S SOMEONE ELSE. NOT ME. Because this book is 5000% a FEELS FEST and I just want to cry. Like tragic feels and good feels and adorable cinnamon roll feels and just...it was so gritty and raw and heartbreaking. I am like such a fan of books that make my cold icicle heart beat??? So thank you to this book.

I'm only sad that it's a standalone because I could handle like an entire series about Raleigh and Crow. <3

Okay so one thing I super lvoed was the setting! It's set in the not-so-distant future with a whole sci-fi vibe (they have robots everywhere, for example, and off planet travel) but it still has a fairly solid contemporary vibe. And it's all dusty Texas and dirt and sweat and TEARS (wait no that's just mine) and the description was sparse but so effective. I could really see the whole place!!

And the pLOT IS SO TWISTY. Like there's a certain point near the end where I turned the page and sort of lost my fREAKING MIND. So A+ for plot twists and also the ability to make me feel like a betrayed scone.

But you know, obviously, what the crowning glory was??? The characters. THE CHARACTERS. I cannot stress enough how wondreful they were! It's dual-narrated and literally my only complaint is that Crow and Raleigh have very similar voices and since it's in 1st person, it was....eh. I really wish it'd been in 3rd! If it was in 3rd I'm like sure the book would've been perfection for me. But that aside, these characters are SO DIMENSIONAL AND TRAGIC. (Oh wow, raining on my face again.) Raleigh is like an absolute tortured soul. He's 19 and he's got severe anger issues and has been in juvie and his older brother committed suicide so he's reeeally struggling with that. He is just so sad but hides it under all this anger and gah. Heart. I have one. And yet he's like totally willing to help out a stranger when Crow just turns up??? THIS IS THE KIND OF BAD BOY I LIKE READING ABOUT. HEARTS OF GOLD. Plus there's plenty of mental health rep, with Raleigh definitely suffering from depression and coming off meds from a personality disorder diagnosis. (It's not negative on the meds, he's just learning to cope without them.)

Basically Raleigh was amazing. Also part Comanche and makes bone jewellery and loves his dog.

DUDE.

And obviously his relationship with Crow was adorable. I actually thought it did veer into instalove??? But it wasn't insufferable because they weren't leaping into each other's arms 2 seconds later. They were like "WOAH I LIKE" but got to know each other first. And the absolute best part was how there was no "I love you despite of who you are"...it was "I love you for you". And that's like so important and healthy?? And Raleigh has such trouble thinking he can be loved (because of violence and he's earning money to go to Mars by selling himself for sex) it was just so great to see the character development. I MEAN. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT IS GOOD.

DID I MENTION THE ENDING. Woah mate. (view spoiler)

SO BASICALLY: This is a really beautiful story about Mars, brokenness, mental health, fear, and plot twists the like to stab you. Obviously the best kind. It's not even 300pgs but it was still really powerful! It's probably more New Adult, since Raleigh is 19 and Crow 22 (I think?) but it did actually have a fairly YA style. And it's always nice to see older teens actually getting books WITH PLOTS. So bless that. Plus astronauts. And also Mars. YAS MARS. I never want to go there but I appreciate Mars Bars which is practically the same thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scardust.

August 15, 2017 – Started Reading
August 15, 2017 – Shelved
August 15, 2017 –
page 116
43.61% "This book is giving me so many FREAKING FEELS. All these precious sad cinnamon boys. 😭😭😭"
August 16, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-star