Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘'s Reviews > Wolfsong

Wolfsong by T.J. Klune

EDIT 08/02/2018 : First of all, I won't delete this review. It seems important to me to keep it, because I stand by what I said the first time : ultimately, Joe's parents were abusive. They didn't give Ox a choice. It will never be okay. As much as I can, now, find it in me to accept it, rather than love it, I'm not disowning myself. But. I just read Ravensong and the weirdest thing happened : I fell in love with these characters again. Because perhaps my review didn't make it clear then, but I did love them. It hurt because I did love them. In the end, I don't know if Ravensong mended my heart or if I just needed to wait a year to reread Wolfsong, even though there are parts of it I'm not able to reread and probably never will, I just know that the moment Gordo expressed my feelings in Ravensong? I cried, because thank you thank you someone saw it. It doesn't make it okay, but I care so much, I know I won't be able to stay away from the rest of the series and it would feel dishonest not to tell you. Oh, and. I deleted my rating because I really do not know what to make of it.

Wolfsong hurt me. Not for the reasons I thought it would but it hurt me it hurt me it hurt me. I've been reading it all day, I did, all the over-winded hundreds of pages of it, I've been reading all day and I couldn't shut out the voices that said would you stop this is abusive stop stop no don't you dare caring no this is abuse this is abuse this is abuse.

In the end, I probably needed this reminder : an abusive relationship is not always something that you can reject instantly because it doesn't stink of evilness and wrongness - even though parts of you know - but looks so much like love and tenderness and appeals to everything in us that screams please need me. Over the past years, I've read so many books that pulled these strings and I tore them apart, so much that I trusted myself enough to never fall into such trap again.

I was wrong.

Because sometimes, sometimes an author is skilled enough to avoid our wards and confuse us and make us feel that we're wrong, we should root for them, stop thinking, accept accept accept would you just accept their love just do it do it now would you.

I can't, though. If I said that I probably needed this reminder, that's because abuse is not always straightforward. An abusive character is not always someone I hate but one I LOVE and I'm manipulated into loving him so much and here's the hate I was waiting for. Joe. Joe is abusive. There is so much emotional abuse in his relationship with Ox that I want to throw up. Even more because everything in Wolfsong tricks the reader into thinking that it's okay, that codependency is okay, that it's healthy to need someone to fix ourselves but it's not, it fucking isn't, and in the end I feel so damn sad and pissed off and

m a n i p u l a t e d

it makes me want to vomit. I want to vomit because I liked both guys and hated them so much. They broke my heart. I loathed that they kept coming at me, tearing up my wards and putting in my mind that it was okay and that I had a problem or wasn't open-minded enough to accept their love but ultimately, that's the thing, see? This is not love, this is fascination and control and this reeks of double standard because I would have raged earlier if one of them had been a woman and what is this bullshit, Anna? Fuck you, Anna. Why should I accept this mine mine mine rhetoric when it's m/m if I wouldn't have if it was a m/f romance? Ugh. Double-standards suck. I know that men can be abused as much as women and I sure know I knew that but it still disgusts me to realize that I was so long to call it out?

It doesn't help that the story dragged so much and that the events happening in the middle were so useless and over-dramatic and nonsensical and why are you doing this it doesn't make any sense just stop. It doesn't help either that I didn't care for the side characters at all after this point, especially Robbie and Jessie and Tanner and Rico and ugh I don't care okay? I just don't. Shut the fuck up. It doesn't help that the characterization was all over the place and that I don't know what to make of Ox, in the end. It doesn't help, too, that the writing was so so so repetitive (but not devoid of beautiful and wonderful and emotional parts and that's part of why I can't go with 1 star.) (also Joe. Damn it, Joe. I know you don't realize how fucked-up everything is but it doesn't change a thing does it because see, I do.)

It doesn't help but that's not why I'm going with two stars and I just itch - I itch to give it one star because in the end, Wolfsong is nothing more than a Twilight rollercoaster of chosen one, codependent, unhealthy relationships, TSTL moments when you don't even know why the characters are so fucking eager to sacrifice themselves for no reasons, I'm sorry, no reasons, with a villain who just cannot fucking die - who is he, seriously? a Terminator phoenix?

And as I got the appeal of Twilight, I understand why people love Wolfsong. I understand why people adore Joe, god, Joe. It's so easy to but I cannot. I couldn't. Came the end, I was shaking with anger and snarling, oh my god, I was snarling so bad. I might have felt for Ox and Joe, they weren't beautiful together. I said that Wolfsong tricked me, but from the moment I opened my eyes on its flaws, I couldn't look away. And that's just right, because that's what happens with any abusive relationship. Once you see things how they really are, you can't ignore it. Right now, I can't ignore that I wish I hadn't read this book and that I'll never read the words mate and need and only you can fix me again.

My skin crawls, and that's not something I want to feel ever again.

For more of my reviews, please visit:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfsong.

August 15, 2017 – Started Reading
August 15, 2017 – Shelved
August 15, 2017 –
30.0% ""A fat rabbit lay on the grass, throat shredded, eyes wide and sighless. Blood pooled underneath it, tacky and dark. Flies buzzed around it, landing on stiff paws.
"I'm not eating that" was the first thing I said.
Mum elbowed me in the stomach. "He might be listening! she hissed at me.
"I mean. Uh. Wow. That looks so good!" I was almost shouting."

OMG 😂😂😂"
August 16, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

⚔ Silvia ⚓ Oh wow. I've read so many positive reviews for this but yours completely convinced me not to read it. Yuck.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Silvia ⚓ wrote: "Oh wow. I've read so many positive reviews for this but yours completely convinced me not to read it. Yuck."

I get it, I really do. That's the worst actually? Because I get why so many people loved it but I just... I can't ignore that everything is so fucked-up and reeks of unhealthy codependency :((

Cirilla Wow... reading your review felt so honest and raw and I could find myself and my own thoughts in every word.
Especially the part about m/f stories and that you would have noticed the abuse and codependency in them sooner.
I realized a while ago that I'm way more excepting of all that possesive mine-mine-mine-mate stuff in m/m romance... I don't know why but I don't like it.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ JokerTheCat wrote: "Wow... reading your review felt so honest and raw and I could find myself and my own thoughts in every word.

Thank you so much, really. I keep second-guessing myself because it seems that everyone loved this book and the romance and... I mean I get it? I felt for Joe. For Ox. I don't think Joe realizes that he's being abusive, but in the end that does not change a thing, does it? And yeah. I do think that many readers feel this way about m/m and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth :/

Cirilla *I meant accepting instead of excepting... How did that happen? :D

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ JokerTheCat wrote: "*I meant accepting instead of excepting... How did that happen? :D
Anyway, don't second-guess yourself. You wrote everything you felt and I can totally relate to that."

Lmao I didn't even notice and read 'accepted' XD Thank you again!

Lori I am at about 70% right now and it is dragging for me, but I was just curious what you thought specifically was abusive. I am not criticizing, just curious.

message 8: by Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (last edited Aug 26, 2017 04:43PM) (new) - added it

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Lori wrote: "I am at about 70% right now and it is dragging for me, but I was just curious what you thought specifically was abusive. I am not criticizing, just curious."

In my opinion Ox never has a choice. The way Joe's parents react, giving him the responsibility of Joe's well being (when he's younger) ; the way Joe reacts every time he tries to see someone else. It's emotional abuse imo, and unhealthy because Ox is expected to replace therapy and 'fix Joe'. I don't know, I did like Joe as a character, but I really found their relationship uneven emotionally, you know? Not that Joe is able to see this - or intend to - but it doesn't change a thing imo. Not sure I'm clear lol, sorry, I've been trying to forget it >.<

Lori Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Lori wrote: "I am at about 70% right now and it is dragging for me, but I was just curious what you thought specifically was abusive. I am not criticizing, just curious."

In my opinion Ox never ha..."

LOL, you were clear enough. Thanks for giving me your thoughts!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Lori wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Lori wrote: "I am at about 70% right now and it is dragging for me, but I was just curious what you thought specifically was abusive. I am n..."

You're welcome :)

lisa I don’t see most of what you’re saying... does that make me bad?

Dianas^Records I literally JUST finished reading this book and I loved it? Before reading this review I simply was BLIND to the abuse. I just couldn't see it. I thought the story was beautiful, angsty and it's simply life? I don't know anymore. You've made a good point though!