jessica's Reviews > Eleanor & Park

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

liked it

so i actually read this awhile ago, but i held off on writing a review because i had a difficult time expressing how i felt about it. i found myself rationalising my rating based on how i wanted the story to be, and not on how i actually felt about it. i still think 3 stars mights be too generous, but im going to leave it for now.

my problem with this was i just didnt believe in the romance between eleanor and park, which is fundamentally the entire purpose of this story. i know rainbow rowell has the ability to convey touching stories, so i was perplexed as to why this one didnt quite sit well with me. and i think the best way to describe the story is it felt very shallow. everything is only surface level; which didnt make sense because there are some very heavy topics present, but they are not dealt with on a deep level at all. there is just no depth to anything that made me want to believe in this story, the characters, or anything between them.

i mean, superficially, i can appreciate that this story meant well, so its disappointing this was a bit of a let down for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor & Park.

August 15, 2017 – Shelved
August 15, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
August 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat This was how I felt as well. I loved their friendship, and was able to enjoy the book for that aspect, but I didn't necessarily feel a lot of chemistry between them as a romantic couple.

jessica yeah, honestly, if this had just been a story about friendship, it would have been perfect. but the romantic feelings between them felt misplaced to me. :/

Sophie That's how I felt too, it felt so shallow!

jessica so glad im not the only one who felt this way!

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim M I agree!! I LOVED Fangirl, so it’s surprising I wasn’t into this one. But I agree I just didn’t believe the romance.

jessica same!! fangirl is such a gem of a story, but this was so bland compared to that! :(

message 7: by Reynita (new)

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ I hope your next read is better! 😊

jessica awww. thank youuuu! <3

jess ❈ When I first read Eleanor and Park years ago, I loved it but when I reread it last year, I was disappointed. I think as I’ve grown as a reader and maybe because I realise I don’t have to like a book that everyone else liked, I’ve found my issues - which are exactly the same as yours.
I just didn’t believe in the romance and honestly, it felt fairly bland which is not a great thing considering the heavy topics this book has to offer

jessica oh my gosh. i love this comment, jess. i think growing as a reader and understanding everyone has different preferences when it comes to books (especially popular ones) is really important!! i totally agree with you! :)