Saskia_madding's Reviews > Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence

Wired for Story by Lisa Cron

U 50x66

I understand why some people didn't like this book. It's not reinventing the wheel, guys. It's not a neuroscience book. If you go into this book with the expectation of what it actually is, I promise you won't be disappointed.

This book does not tell you how to write a wonderful sentence. It doesn't give step by step advice about how to create good dialogue. What this book does is tell you the ways in which the human brain is addicted to pattern recognition and what the brain thinks of as "payoff" for successful pattern recognition, and then advises ways to use that knowledge to craft a story that people will want to keep turning pages of. It's much more of a "big picture" how-to writing book than the others I've read.

If you're looking for tips about how to create complicated characters, or how to write a three act novel, then this isn't the book for you. If you're looking for a neuroscience book, this isn't the book for you either.

But if you're looking for a book to clearly and explicitly state what the majority of people find captivating about a book and why, and tips on how to weave these things into your own story, then yes. this book is a must read. It changed the way I thought about my narrative, and has helped shape my outline in a really positive way.

It took me a long time to slog through because I had to stop and think about the major points deeply, integrate them into my story, brainstorm, the works. But it was totally worth it. <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wired for Story.

August 15, 2017 – Started Reading