Bella James's Reviews > Paradise Girl

Paradise Girl by Phill  Featherstone

For me this novel achieved the perfect crossover from Dystopian YA, to Psychological Thriller.

The diary format works effortlessly through the voice of delightfully witty protagonist, Kerryl. I had a vague sense of unease from the moment I began to take tentative steps into a world besieged by a deadly virus. The stunning depictions of the Yorkshire moors gave further life to my trepidation, until I realised what Featherstone had accomplished with this intelligent YA novel. He took me right there, with Kerryl. As all great writers do, I became part of her isolation, and gradual decline of clarity and awareness.
There is a particular part of this novel that truly affected me, to the point I had to rest the book to one side for a moment, before snatching it back up to learn of my fate and how Kerryl's survival through apocalypse might be ending.

This truly is intelligent YA at its best and I look forward to more from this talented author. The only disappointing aspect to the ending, is that I did not feel quite ready to let Kerryl go, and the novel screams out for a sequel/prequel - I won't be spoiling the ending for anyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paradise Girl.

Finished Reading