Emma's Reviews > A Gathering of Ravens

A Gathering of Ravens by Scott Oden

57181924

liked it

'To the Danes, he is skraelingr; (could not pronounce) to the English, he is orcn as; to the Irish, he is fomoraig.
He is Corpse-maker and Life-quencher, the Bringer of Night, the Son of the Wolf and Brother of the Serpent. He is Grimnir, and he is the last of his kind, the last in a long line of monsters who have plagued humanity since the Elder Days.
Drawn from his lair by a thirst for vengeance against the Dane who slew his brother, Grimnir emerges into a world that's changed. A new faith has arisen. The Old Ways are dying, and their followers retreating into the shadows; even still, Grimnir's vengeance cannot be denied.'

Taking a young Christian hostage to be his guide, Grimnir embarks on a journey that takes him from Denmark to Ireland where the Viking stronghold of Dubhlinn along with his enemy are.
Great fight scenes and character development, within a magical world with witches, dwarfs & ravens.

I especially loved Grimnir's back story, but I wanted more, Oden could have gone into more detail about him. He's an interesting character I was left wanting more about him.
I loved the magic system, again I wanted more as I feel it was skimmed over. And barely used. And with some characters with magic we never actually saw them do any at all?
Strong religious tones at the beginning, with each character having their own beliefs however, this does slow down as the story progresses. This didn't bother me but could be an issue for some.

The ending fell a bit flat but I'm glad it wasn't the ending I expected which was a relief. I think it's because it followed a fight scene.
Just over 300 pages this imo could have been easily 400 pages to add more depth to the parts I feel it lacked.
However A fantastic read and a great plot and I could have kept going in this world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gathering of Ravens.

August 15, 2017 – Started Reading