Annie's Reviews > The Hostile Series Box Set

The Hostile Series Box Set by Joy Mutter

bookshelves: 2017-reads, crime-thriller-detective, new-to-me-author

I purchased this box set because the books sounded interesting. Not having read any of the author's works before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Once I started reading book #1, I found this book to be a really excellent read. In fact all 4 books are truly excellent. The storyline is unlike anything that I have read before. Each book can in theory be read as a stand alone novel because at the start of each book, the author gives a brief outline of previous events. Personally, I prefer to read a series of books in numerical order. There is some gore, but there is also humour. I had a good laugh especially with the banter between Keith and Carl. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable read. Hopefully, there are going to be further books in the series. The ending of book #4 certainly leaves the storyline wide open for a continuation, so I am hoping there are.

I do not want to give many spoilers, so will give a brief blurb:

Serena Drummond lives in Manchester with her dysfunctional family. She has a disability and unfortunately the school bullies pick on her and make her life terrible. Serena has no friends and at home spends a lot of her time in the bathroom. To her amazement one of the tiles (whom she calls Tile X) starts talking to her and a strong bond forms between them.

Serena's father Keith, an unemployed layabout, starts having an affair with Rachel, who is basically a nymphomaniac. Beatrice, Keith's wife, finds out about the affair and they end up having an almighty row and Beatrice asks him to leave. Serena has heard all the arguing and is telling Tile X all about her father's indiscretions and wishes that he was dead. Keith having nowhere to go, decides to visit his friend Carl who lives on Saddleworth moor. He catches the bus, a freak snowstorm starts and Keith, after getting off the bus, has about a mile to walk to his friend's house. Being the macho man that he his, his clothing is most unsuitable for this extreme weather. The snowstorm is unlike anything that he has ever seen before, the snowflakes are enormous. Unfortunately, he loses his way and ends up freezing to death.

The story continues as to how Tile X gradually builds his hold over Serena. Strange unexplained deaths keep happening that the police cannot solve. By book #3, the years have passed and Serena now 18 years old, knows about Melanie Scarfe, who lives in Liverpool. Melanie is also being controlled by a similar tile to Tile X, her tile has the name of Joe. They have found out that Tile X and Joe are in competition with each other - their respective bosses the Host and Hostess are actually playing a game. Serena and Melanie decide that they have had enough of the tiles controlling their lives, so Serena comes up with a plan as to how they can get rid of the tiles from their lives.

By book #4, ex Superintendent John Morris and DCI Damon Flint, are being controlled. Damon comes up with a plan to rid John and himself of the dredded tiles. The plan appears to work, but have they managed to destroy the evil tiles?

I'm now waiting for the next book in the series to find out what happens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hostile Series Box Set.

August 15, 2017 – Started Reading
August 15, 2017 – Shelved
August 16, 2017 –
18.0% "Serena is brilliant👍"
August 17, 2017 –
34.0% "Serena is brilliant👍
Finished book #1 and really enjoyed reading about this dysfunctional family."
August 18, 2017 –
42.0% "Serena is brilliant👍
Finished book #1 and really enjoyed reading about this dysfunctional family."
August 19, 2017 –
53.0% "Serena is brilliant👍
Finished book #1 and really enjoyed reading about this dysfunctional family.
Now finished book #2 - Keith and Carl are great. Love the humour."
August 20, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Very nice review, Annie.

Annie Thanks Diane ☺