Mandy's Reviews > Lock In

Lock In by John Scalzi

F 50x66

bookshelves: library-books, read-in-2017

I can't remember the last time I read a sci-fi novel. But I am very pleased to have picked this one up. I had a lot of fun reading this.
This book is set in the future, and the future is a world where a virus has swept across the world. It's similar to the flu bug, but 1% of the population are left "locked in", the patient is awake and aware of everything that's happening, but their body is not able to move at all. In the USA alone that's 1.7 million people in this state.
So America builds an entire world for " locked in" patients called The Agora, a virtual environment for people to live and socialise in. There are also "threeps", essentially robots which patients can control fully with their brains, so they can live and move among the rest of the population. There are also Integrators, who are people who can let " locked in" patients use their bodies for a period of time.
The main character is Chris Shane, who has joined the FBI. He's a "lock in" and uses a threep in the real world. He is partnered with Agent Vann, and thrown straight into a murder case.
This was an interesting, intelligent read. I don't read sci-fi because I always worry I won't understand it, but this was easy to read and I understood everything. The story was fast-paced and moved along very quickly so I wanted to keep reading, to see where the story was going next.
I will definitely be reading more from this author, and would highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock In.

August 15, 2017 – Started Reading
August 18, 2017 –
page 215
August 19, 2017 – Shelved as: read-in-2017
August 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Nice review Mandy.

Mandy Thank you, Maureen!

message 3: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay  The Crippled God Beautiful. Thanks

Mandy Thank you, Jay!

message 5: by Adina (new)

Adina Excellent review. I think I made the wrong choice when I decided to pick the Old's man War over this one. It looks a lot more interesting.

Mandy Thanks. I have heard that Old Man's War isn't as good, so I'm glad I read this one first.

message 7: by Adina (new)

Adina Mandy wrote: "Thanks. I have heard that Old Man's War isn't as good, so I'm glad I read this one first." i just saw there's going to be a follow up to this one.

Mandy Ooh good. I'll definitely be reading that one.

message 9: by Selena (new)

Selena 🐶🎈💛💙💕🎁

Mandy Thank you Helena.

Mandy I mean Selena. Sorry about that. Darned auto correct!

Jenny If you haven't visited John Scalzi's blog "Whatever", then do so, go to the archives and read what he wrote about Chris. And how he wrote Chris. You may already know, or may have figured it out, but if not, you may be surprised. I was. Also, I have not read a Scalzi book that I didn't like a lot. Hopefully you will enjoy more of his stuff. There is a story called "Unlocked" that explains the beginnings of that world as well.

Mandy Thanks Jenny. I didn't know he had a blog. I'll definitely be checking that out.

Frances A wonderful review Mandy! It was a fun book!

Mandy Thank you, Frances. It certainly was!