Alice's Reviews > The Cruel Prince

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

liked it
bookshelves: potential-but-bad-execution, reviewed

** spoiler alert ** 2.75 - 3 stars

Is it bad that my take away is that Madoc sure surrounds himself with the least trustworthy family and I felt bad for him despite him being a parent murderer? And how is it that we spend the entire book with Jude and end up being more sympathetic towards Cardan the Schoolyard Bully because Jude reeks of "the protagonist can murder so it's morally complex and therefore deep" which doesn't get an automatic pass from me?

Don't get me wrong, this book was really entertaining because for the most part it plays out like Fairy Hana Yori Dango. And if you're a fan of Hana Yori Dango, this book even has its own F4 (Fairy Four)! While I didn't see all the twists and reveals coming, when they happened I wasn't entirely convinced of how grounded in fact they were because Jude has a tendency of making wild speculations that ended up being validated in the story ... just 'cause? Like I don't believe Jude is capable of knowing what's best for Faerie when she wasn't even interested in politics but decided to throw herself into it because she was deeply upset by other, almost unrelated stuff.

Maybe I missed something, but the sense of urgency that Jude had to find her place in Faerie before the transition of power to the next High King wasn't fully baked. If the POV character were anyone else, I feel like we would have had a better sense of the world of Faerie while sacrificing a human POV. It almost felt like Jude didn't *need* to be there as a POV character since she had so little knowledge of the court's inner workings and all the reveals came so easily to her it was like her lack of knowledge didn't matter. At one point she straight out asks Cardan to tell her court information like he's doing her homework for her. Pretty convenient. In the end everything played out very conveniently for Jude and there was no satisfaction from seeing her have almost no problems succeeding.

Yeah, on top of that I hate Jude's presumptuous ass. Come at me (don't. bc I don't care).

As for the relationship between Cardan and Jude, it boiled down to:

Cardan: I bullied you because I was jealous your daddy loves you and spoils you and my family sucks ass. I actually like you despite all my instincts including good taste.

Jude: well you're hot and I like your smoochies but I still won't forgive you for being mean to me so here have a crown you don't want.

Both: smooch in accordance to the YA gods

Yeah, I wasn't into it. I don't think this book glorifies bullying -> romance because the bullying is portrayed as obviously BAD, but it was tre, tre strange that Holly Black went for this budding romance between a bully and the bullied when there was so little development of their actual relationship. There was actually so little development for Cardan until after this scene where he and Jude kissed. So I guess since he's the love interest proper now, he should have a tragic backstory reveal *cue small violin music*

Cardan himself is much more enjoyable when he's actually allowed to have a personality after Jude captures him. He makes conversations with his brother's spies like it's nothing and even wants to be friends with them after a game of cards. He's sassy and stylish, doesn't wanna be king and "is no killer." I'm very surprised we had to wait THAT long for him to show off more sides of his personality. Then again, Jude's POV does delay us from seeing this because of how much she hates his guts. Maybe he had a personality all along. But since Cardan's the titular character, it as awfully strange to have to hold out for the majority of the book to actually see the man for who he is. I'm not excusing his bullying. We kind of forget about it all when a whole bunch of fae get merked later on and it just looks tame antics in comparison. This gives Jude's motivations even less credit in my eyes 'cause that girl has trouble grasping different levels of severity for sure.

While we're talking about the relationships in this book, I knew Locke was trouble from the start because he was the Rui of the Fairy Four and lemme tell you spoilers, Rui and the MC in Hana Yori Dango aren't endgame. If Holly Black was on some sort of HYD craze while drafting this book, it was very evident Locke's getting dropped. Now, I guess it's time to confess, I've always had a Rui bias. I've alwas had a fox bias. Locke is our resident Rui fox fairy boy and I wish fox-boys wouldn't be done dirty like the YA story gods have a vendetta against them Zootopia-style, but I have no idea how Jude wasn't suspicious of his fuqboi ass when she was sooooo on point and suspicious of her fucking dad and everyone else. Locke's backstory was tragic and he has that No Mom Energy™, so he's my type in theory and he had so much potential if it weren't for the fact he was a throw-away character to heighten the drama in between Jude and Taryn, which was wholly unnecessary. The love geometry in wild in this one. Also I hate Taryn. Madoc didn't raise you to be a traitourous ass, tsk tsk.

The family dynamics were by far the best aspect of this. Madoc is honestly my favorite character, despite the maddening amount of inconsistencies and convenience in characterization... and everything in the ending. And you know he's a parent-killer and war-monger, too. He's actually a very good dad and honorable, to boot. I honestly was *almost* (bc obviously the story frames him as the bad guy, but srsly he's been thru enough) completely on his side when Jude decided to be r00d and poison him and act like he didn't shelter her, clothe her, feed her, and tell her her taste in fuqbois was Bad out of love. Like cool for once the murder-happy villain(?antag?) of a YA fantasy is coincidentally a good dad for once because I always complain about this, but something about Madoc's duality doesn't sit right with me. I was never convinced the murder-happy and the good dad were in harmony, instead it felt like there were two Madocs. That could be Black's intention, which is all well and good, but the development of it was underbaked.

The beginning was a great introduction of the three sisters and each were distinct in personality and in life views. Vivi is my favorite and a cool big sis. tbh I'd rather have her POV instead of Jude's because she actually *is* half-fairy. And even though in the canon, she is the least concerned about the state of Faerie, I feel like it would be more powerful to have a half-human half-fairy character talk about how she doesn't really fit in either world - almost like an allegory being in a bi/multi-cultural household or something on top of being queer. Just saying. I mean it's interesting to see how people really latch onto this book and resonate with the fish-out-of-water experience in fairyland but like might not extend similar sympathy to real ppl who have faced that sense of not belonging anywhere when they have claim to multiple cultures. Or something. Idk. Hmmm.

- Taryn - I thought her opposition with Jude was interesting at first, but she's a traitorrrr
- Oriana's cool too despite being inconsistent in characterization.
- Oak? I don't know him. He's really barely a character and more of a plot device.

TLDR: The verdict is that I thought this was pretty entertaning but felt half-baked. The world-building was interesting but was muddled by a bullying storyline turned brewing coup where all the problems the MC faced were solved a little too quickly and easily for me to suspend disbelief. Felt like the plot was dictating the character's moves and changed their motivations to suit the story's needs.

- Pretty entertaining Hana Yori Dango Fairy AU
- Didn't like Jude and Taryn. Their drama was not my taste.
- My fox boy Locke was a fuqboi and I knew he was gonna be but I still have a bias.
- Madoc was my (highly problematique) fave. He was an honorable daddy and didn't deserve to be poisoned by his uppity daughter who knows jack shit about fae politics but thinks she knows best.
- Cardan's instalust "I bullied you because I'm jealous and I like you, you filthy human" was not a good look, but somehow I sympathized with his bully ass more than the POV character. He's sassy and stylish and ihs tragic backstory kicks in quicker than you can pick up the world's smallest violin.
- Vivi's cool, but I wish the "I have one foot in each world" concept was done with her instead of Jude.
- Oak was a plot device
- lots of inconsistencies that bothered me plot and character-wise
- Jude succeeded too easily
- Not worth buying 4 copies of with different covers each, but I wouldn't blame you because the cover's nice.

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Youtube

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cruel Prince.

August 14, 2017 – Shelved
August 14, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 10, 2018 – Started Reading
November 10, 2018 –
page 2
0.54% "Let's see what the hubbub is about this bad boy"
page 9
2.43% "Ok youch no mom and dad energy very early"
page 24
6.49% "This book's popular and furry hrmmm"
page 31
8.38% ""In my heart, I yearn to best them" Yes Jude #relatable"
page 48
12.97% "This shit's like Hana Yori Dango but with the Fairy Four instead of the Flower Four."
page 58
15.68% "VIVI LMAOoo"
page 61
16.49% "Ah yes finally a 1st person present-tense POV I'm ok with."
page 73
page 79
21.35% "Wow Locke is fairy four Rui"
page 100
page 101
27.3% "Are you sure holly Black didn’t base this off hana Yori dango"
page 117
31.62% "Cardan makes me tired"
page 130
35.14% "SORRY BUT GHOST IS CUTER THAN CARDAN RN JUST SAYING"
page 143
38.65% "So when is it gonna deviate from Hana Yori dango storyline"
page 153
41.35% "Sighs the YA gloss over strikes again"
page 163
44.05% "Wtf Locke that was FAST"
page 176
47.57% "Kind of a slog to read about a Jude and Locke romance even tho I love that Locke is foxlike"
page 180
48.65% "I reallyyy don't like how this book jumps from location to location all the sudden"
page 182
49.19% "Yeah Laurent is still my #1 Cruel Prince lmao"
page 194
52.43% "Sighs why did that happen"
page 198
53.51% "Dain just isn’t very threatening"
page 202
54.59% "So really we still have the obligatory YA party dress reveal I don’t mind but I didn’t expect there to be so much in here"
page 209
56.49% "“They’ve got big point swords” A+ dialogue, Jude"
page 211
57.03% "That has got to be one of the most anticlimactic deaths I've read this year"
page 216
58.38% "NPC: compliments MC for being MC
ah ok"
page 221
59.73% ""Sure, *Daddy*" Vivi is hillarious lmao

Also " It's a really, really, really pretty sword" A+ narration, Jude."
page 231
62.43% "I'm just waiting for Locke to get merked or something"
page 233
62.97% "Wowwwww Taryn"
page 242
65.41% "I misspoke this was probably one of the most anticlimactic deaths i've read this year"
page 249
67.3% "This is all good drama and stuff but we don't know these royals so... idgaf that they offed most of them in one go here."
page 255
68.92% "Of course Cardan has some "surprising" baggage because Jude's POV severly limits us to knowing anything about the royals that we didn't care about until *spoilers* they got merked."
page 258
69.73% "I highly doubt Jude knows what she even wants but ok go off"
page 260
70.27% "Everytime Jude talks it's like *eyeroll* whatever, Jude."
page 266
71.89% "So like out of all the possible POVs we could have gotten, they decided Jude's was the best because she knows soooo much about the royals that we needed Cardan to explain the reveal to us in one paragraph"
page 272
73.51% "Is it me or do things not add up even if Judge is constantly reminding us of this every page"
page 275
74.32% "LMAO the Locke stuff was never convincing from the first place;kl alskdjflkdjsf"
page 281
75.95% "YEAH MADOC gud dad talk at least."
page 299
80.81% "LMAO CARDAN"
page 302
81.62% "lmao Cardan's suddenly funny or maybe he was always like this"
page 303
81.89% ""Locke hasn't gotten around to seducing me yet, if that's what you're asking." Sure, Cardan. That's what we were wondering"
page 307
82.97% "WTF that was fast."
page 318
85.95% "Cardan: O** might make different choices than the ones you want him too
Jude, who doesn't know politics: yeah im gonna do this so help me

Might wanna listen to Cardan on this one, Jude. But I know you're not gonna"
page 337
91.08% "Unless something amazing happens in the end this is a 3 star book for me"
page 338
91.35% "I just find so much of the stuff in book 2 to be so inconsistent or like it wasn't even solidified so it can get away with being inconsistent in the first place."
page 342
92.43% "Hi, I'd like to join the I hate Taryn club. But also I h8 Jude too."
page 346
93.51% "IDK it's really presumptuous of Jude to think she knows what's right for Faerie"
page 356
96.22% "This is bad but I still really like Madoc in the end."
page 356
96.22% "Jude: Outmaneuvering Madoc wasnt nearly as satisfying as I wanted it to be

Girl me too it's almost like the story plot is on your side or something."
page 359
97.03% "Jude you already planned a coup why are you still learning new things about the enemy and making wild assumptions. You should be preparedaksdjflakjsdf"
page 367
99.19% "Jude: If only there was someone to congratulate me.
Well I'm sure ppl who loved this book will but I won't heh"
November 20, 2018 – Shelved as: potential-but-bad-execution
November 20, 2018 – Shelved as: reviewed
November 20, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Janine (new) - added it

Janine Not reading the review due to the spoilers and the fact that I haven't read it yet, but does it deviate from Boys Over Flowers?

Alice Yes the book has two parts (labeled as book 1 and 2). for the most part book 1 is like HYD fairy ya fanfic but book 2 shifts into a political focused plot rather than Cardans bullying

message 3: by L.C. (new) - added it