Avid Reader's Reviews > Mercy

Mercy by Debra Anastasia
4 stars
M/F Romance
Triggers: Cancer, Murder, Domestic Violence, Kidnapping
I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

Hmmmm, where to start with this review? This was an interesting read. There is a ton going on throughout the story and it is well developed. However, there was, at times, almost too much going on that it slowed down what the main story seemed to be.

You start out with the back story and it pulls you right in to the story. Girl saves boy, boy dedicates his life to her protection.

Fenix (aka Mercy, aka Nix) is just a boy when he meets Rebecca. He knows that his father is an evil person and despite all that happened in his home, he knows that there isn't much he can do to save himself. However, when the unthinkable happens, he takes advantage of it. He has a troubled past and grows up to help those who cannot fight back feel a sense of safeness. In that lifestyle, he also has to do things that are considered bad and he believes that he's just a ghost of a person. His devotion to Rebecca is fierce and unwavering. He would rather rip his own heart out than see her hurting.

Rebecca has had a hard life, but not in the same way. She was abandoned by her father and has to learn to live with her crazy mother. Now, while Becca's mom isn't your typical crazy, her mother is boy crazy and wants Rebecca to marry a guy who is "respectable". So, you see Rebecca in her grown up days, working at a bar. Her best friend is Henry, a woman who is raunchy and so forgiving. (I have to say that the names of the friends, Henry and Dick were distracting throughout and even though there were numerous jokes, I'm sure, I just found it strange.) However, Rebecca is the character that I believe grew the most throughout the story. She finds an inner strength that not only changes her perspective on Nix, but on herself too.

What follows is a story of love, redemption, taking back control and vengeance. It was fast paced at times, but also slow too. It was well balanced, but I thought that perhaps we could have left out Rebecca's mom's drama. I didn't think that it added too much.

Overall, this was a good read with a great teaser at the end. I can't wait to see what Animal has in store, because when he first appeared, I honestly thought he wanted Mercy just a little. He is very affectionate with his words, despite his menacing looks.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercy.

Finished Reading