Angela's Reviews > The Fifth Season

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

bookshelves: hugo-award, book-one, fantasy, fiction, series, poc-author, best-of-the-best, post-apocolyptic

The Inheritance Trilogy was not exactly up my alley, though I did appreciate the quality of the writing and the imaginative story telling, so when people were like, "Uhhhh you should maybe check out the latest N.K. Jemisin, it's, like, winning crazy awards and stuff," I was happy to give the first book a first read.

As one person described it, there are a lot of fantasy books in the world that are all about "Yeahhhh let's go save the worrrrld!" but not a whole lot that are more "Oops, well, we didn't." And that's more this one. I don't know how to even begin to introduce the story, but it takes place on a very hostile, very volatile land ironically called "The Stillness," which has just been "broken" via orogeny, the system of earth/land magic that underlies the whole book. The story alternates between Essun (a small-town school teacher who has come home to find her husband has murdered her three-year-old son and fled with her older daughter), Damaya (a young girl just beginning her training in orogeny), and Syenite (an ambitious, somewhat accomplished young woman orogene).

It's hard to get too much into the story without getting into paragraphs and paragraphs of explanation, but let me just say this book was absolutely brilliant in the richness and detail of the world-building, the depth and dimensionality of the characters (including multiple awesome women! And multiple awesome not-white and/or not-straight people!), and the complexity and multi-faceted-ness of the story itself. A crazy ambitious premise, crazily well executed. Can't wait to finish the trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth Season.

August 14, 2017 – Shelved