Iain Garland's Reviews > False Idols

False Idols by Jon Hollins

Even better than Fools Gold, this one. The book starts at a decent slower pace to remind you who each of the characters are, serving both those who have waited 12 months for this 2nd book in the series, as well as anyone new to the Dragon Lords books (although if that's you, you should really be reading Fools Gold first even though this book doesn't insist on it) but after a few chapters the action ramps up and barely takes a breath for the following 500 pages.

I've read books before that have been all action and they've become a bit tiresome, but False Idols manages to feel exciting without that level of tedium you'd often get. Even the slower sections without fighting have a level of excitement to them, whether that's the relationship between the characters (which takes an awesome twist towards the end) or the build up of a new plan to defeat the dragons, I constantly felt desperate to turn the page and find out what came next. If you've been with Will, Lette and co since the start then there's little chance you'll get through this without some kind of emotional turmoil, such is the way the characters come to be so likeable, and that's another key reason why I found it so incredibly difficult to put this down.

If you've read and liked Fools Gold then you need to read this as soon as possible. If you haven't read Fools Gold, read that NOW and then go straight into this. The Dragon Lords series is poised to become one of my favourite ever fantasy series, and with the book's ending lending itself to an epic third story it's going to be a long 12 months before we find out what comes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read False Idols.

Started Reading