A.B. Shepherd's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

I'd give this book 3 and 3/4 stars - I've rounded that up to 4 for the sake of expedience. :)

This is a nice little book - it has a lovely cast of characters that, for the most part, I would love to be friends with. It is charmingly written in a style that is a bit different - in the form of letters, most of which are to or from Juliet (the main character). It is informative regarding the effect of WWII on Guernsey - a British Isle - and a small community of the residents there. It is fiction but I'm certain much of it is based on fact of situations that occurred to many during the war.

But this book isn't about the war. It takes place a few short years after the war. The central character is a London writer who happens to become acquainted with a few residents of the isle of Guernsey. She travels to meet them and finds herself there. This book didn't arouse strong emotion in me, but I did enjoy it and would recommend it.

1 like · flag