Marie's Reviews > On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

On Writing by Stephen King

1200328
Sep 15, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction, writing, memoir, usa, reviewed, literary-criticism, language, library, essays
Read from September 13 to 16, 2011

Definitely worth reading. It was interesting learning about King's story and just how committed he was to writing, even from the beginning. And the description of his accident and the aftermath was powerful.

I can't agree with everything he says about the writing process (because clearly no two people write the same way or we wouldn't need so publishers to produce all their books). However, I like the practical approach he espouses. Just getting it done is not something I do well in my floundering attempts, so I may well try the 2,000 words-a-day schedule.

I'm not sure if this is something I'll pick up for myself, possibly because the one prompt in the book is something I have little interest in writing about. (Except if he still accepts excerpts and will read them. I'd feel a bit disingenuous, since I've only read one of his books and don't even remember which, but I did read this one, right?)

All in all, though, if you see it, pick it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Writing.

Quotes Marie Liked

Stephen King
“Write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open.”
Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft